4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pie Charts (Access 97 Sr2)

I'm having a nightmare trying to make Pie Charts in a report. I have a table with a field holding the total amount of people attending and a 2 fields that contain info on these people. I'm trying to make a pie chart that displays the percentage of the 2 fields out of the one. i.e. Out of [total], 20% of these were [age bracket 1], 20% were [age bracket 2].
    Think I've explained that okay - am I missing something in the wizard or is this not a simple task? Any tips on making a Pie chart out of a total column and 2 info columns would be great, or where to find a decent tutorial on how to do this, or even a sample Db might come in handy - i've been trying to work it out for nearly 2 hours and i'm thinking i've missed something really obvious!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pie Charts (Access 97 Sr2)

I have found charting in Access is difficult while Excel provides charts that are much easier and more flexible to work with.
    Create a query in Access that supplies the necessary data.

Open Excel.
    From the menu select Data, Get External Data, Create New Query, and then select the correct driver (Usually MS Access 97 Database).

Select the query or table from the database that you are working with.

Then build the MS Query in Excel and use Excel Chart Wizard once you have imported the data.

You can set the parameters of the MS Query to be refreshed, query you for your parameters, upon opening.

Good Luck.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Excel charts may seem more accessible, but they use the same MS Graph that Access uses, and both Excel and Access use the MS Graph chart wizard. The biggest difference is that instead of a spreadsheet range, they use a query/table as a data source.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You have tried Insert-->Object and inserting a Microsoft Graph chart into the report, right? That should allow you to use the MS Graph toolbar to select the type of chart and the options you want. What exactly is it that you aren't able to do?
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's for a database for a client and I was hoping to have it all in the one file. I could probably re-import the chart into my report afterwards, but I'll work at it the rest of the day and then give it a go. Thanks for the quick reply though - my excel is a touch rusty (haven't used it properly since college!).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yep, tried inserting a graph, but I noticed that it is based on the results of only 1 field and the criteria in another i.e. [EstablishmentType] and [Numberofestablishments] makes the pie chart based on each establishment type with the percentage of establishments in each type filling the pie. However, my table didn't have the information in 1 field with criteria seperating it - it had the information in 3 fields (think explained that correctly).
    However, just before I went home last night, I managed to contact a colleague who sent me an example of a union query which would turn the table from 1 record/3 fields to 3 records/1field + code field:

SELECT field1 as Totals
    from qryreport1
    union
    SELECT field2
    FROM qryReport1
    UNION
    select field3
    from qryReport1;

The final query had some extra fields in and a code field added, but that gave me the table I needed to create the Pie Chart. Thanks for all of your help and ideas anyway though.