5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Acronis trivial pursuit

This is a quick (and embarassing) question, but I am snowed and need help. I am restoring an Acronis backup (Acronis 2011 latest build) and the 'big' restore (to a new drive) went perfectly and the drive is in business. There are about four incrementals on top of that that I would like to install, as they have significant contents, and i can't figure out how to do it. I'm sure it's in the 225-page manual, but a helpful answer would be very welcome. (I can't even find 'restore' in the interface, except for the boot CD's interface.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    There is no difference to the restore procedure, that I am aware of. Just select the desired incremental backup file when the software prompts you to do it.
    Start the recovery with the oldest increamental backup file and proceed sequentially to the latest one.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    There is no difference to the restore procedure, that I am aware of. Just select the desired incremental backup file when the software prompts you to do it.
    Start the recovery with the oldest increamental backup file and proceed sequentially to the latest one.
    Here is the trap: the oldest went perfectly, as reported, using the boot CD. Being the oldest, however, means that it has no knowledge of any subsequent incrementals; hence they do not appear when Acronis is run from the (re)installed version. There is an option on the main screen to 'browse for backup' which does show them (they are on a second hard drive on the same computer) but I haven't figured out how to restore from that, although I should obviously be able to do so somehow. Failing that, I should be able to install them using the boot CD (which I will probably do after fiddling a bit to see if I can figure out 'the proper way').

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    When you use the browse for backup just select the oldest incremental backup, restore from it, then choose the second oldest incremental and so on. There is no difference to restoring from a full or incremental backup, once you choose the file to restore from.