5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question OneNote: buy as Office app or standalone?

I am not sure if this is the place for this posting, but here goes...I am sure the mods will let me know and/or move it if it isn't...

I am currently making good and probably heavy use of One Note 2007 on my desktop...I use it mostly for capturing and saving information relative to my hobby of photography, so I have separate "notebooks" for things like Photoshop, Lightroom, Photography, etc. I wanted to move this to my Netbook so I could have this information with me when I travel, I then discovered that I do not have MS Office, One Note, or any other related products on my Netbook as it was originally purchased for Internet access during a major trip overseas and to download and backup my pictures on a daily basis. So I am wondering a few things...1) is One Note a separate product from Office (Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint)...2) can I run my copy (One Note 2007) on more than one machine as long as they are not being used at the same time, e.g., Adobe allows a product, such as Photoshop, to be used on two machines like a desktop and a laptop as long as they are not being used a the same time...3)Is One Note 2010 compatible with One Note 2007, or would it be better to download One Note 2010 for both computers...4) where does Windows/One Note keep the "Notebooks" files.

Any insight that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    One Note can be purchased separately from other Office apps. Whether you can use OneNote legally on more than one computer depends on your purchased Office license. Office Home and Student includes 3 licenses for a cost that is slightly higher than 1 OneNote license, so if you go the buying route that may be an option.

One Note usually stores its files inside a folder named OneNote notebooks, inside My Documents.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If your netbook use of OneNote is going to be light check out saving your OneNote "stuff" in Skydrive and using the free OneNote webapp to edit the information there. Skydrive is a free and has plenty of storage for something such as OneNote information.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    One Note can be purchased separately from other Office apps. Whether you can use OneNote legally on more than one computer depends on your purchased Office license. Office Home and Student includes 3 licenses for a cost that is slightly higher than 1 OneNote license, so if you go the buying route that may be an option.

One Note usually stores its files inside a folder named OneNote notebooks, inside My Documents.
    Thanks for the information, I cannot find a site that will let me buy One Note seperately from Office...maybe I haven't looked hard enough - maybe have to check with my local software vendors. Nice to know that I may be able top purchase three licenses in one, so to speak...that would work well for my home situation - one desktop and netbook, and one laptop (my wife's)...I will have to look into this.

I will go and have a look for the One Note files...thanks for this too as I had expected them to be in the "Program Files" folder - no wonder I couldn't find them!! (Good ol' Microsoft does it again... )

Regards,

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2011-07-12 at 15:44.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If your netbook use of OneNote is going to be light check out saving your OneNote "stuff" in Skydrive and using the free OneNote webapp to edit the information there. Skydrive is a free and has plenty of storage for something such as OneNote information.

Joe
    My use will probably not be light, and I had a brief look at Skydrive, but it isn't intuitively obvious how this thing works. I may simply end up buying another licence for One Note and using that. Thanks for the info on Skydrive, I will look at it a little less intuitively and a lot less briefly when I have some more time.

Regards,

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can buy office online from Microsoft. For Canada, the link is: http://www7.buyoffice.microsoft.com/...che=1139406655

Not sure about prices, but the 3 Home and Student Office licenses seem to cost just $50 (canadian, I think) more than one single license of One Note.

P.S.: You can get an even better price in either case at amazon.ca.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So long as you are comparison shopping and looking at incremental costs, for heaven's sake don't overlook the obvious and fail to get prices on Office 2010. I have it and consider it a significant refinement of 2007, and you will be eligible for an upgrade from your 2007 to that for some (unknown) price. It is now well-established, the first service release has just come out, and that is a fair indication that it is the current version and will, for example, be installed on all new computers for which Office is an included option. It is to that version that businesses are moving if they move at all.

You might also take a look at the Open Source Evernote. I don't know how close it is, but if I recall correctly it is similar to OneNote (the chicken or the egg?) and I think it is free of charge.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2011-07-14 at 21:17.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My thanks to all who replied. I finally decided on a 3 licence version of Office 2010 (thanks dogberry for the recommendation) for each of the PCs that we have and this seems to work very well. The only problem now is to figure out how to make the 2010 version of One Note interpret the One Note 2007 "notes". So far not really a serious problem, just a few unexpected kinks that I will work at ironing out.

Regards,

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    My thanks to all who replied. I finally decided on a 3 licence version of Office 2010 (thanks dogberry for the recommendation) for each of the PCs that we have and this seems to work very well. The only problem now is to figure out how to make the 2010 version of One Note interpret the One Note 2007 "notes". So far not really a serious problem, just a few unexpected kinks that I will work at ironing out.

Regards,

Ron M
    OneNote 2010 can read and write in OneNote 2007 format without any issues. For your existing notebooks, it will work without a hitch.
    I kept the 2007 format for almost a year, only recently converting all my notebooks to 2010 format. I actually recommend it over the previous one. The only reason to keep the 2007 format is if you will need to have someone with OneNote 2007 to access your notebooks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It occurred to me to post a few tips on 2010, but I decided it makes more sense to tell you my source than to give second-hand advice. I do not have a vested interest in whether or not you decide to follow this suggestion. (I don’t want to break lounge rules by appearing to promote a product, and I really am a paid subscriber.)

We all learn in different ways, and I find the online video training source Linda.com to be valuable for my purposes, and especially so in learning features of any new software suite. It costs $25 a month, with no long-term commitment (it costs less if you do pay by longer terms), and you can view sample tutorials, including a few for OneNote 2010, free of charge at freeTraining. If you decide to risk $25 for a month’s tutorials, there should be a link to take you to the sign-up.
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-07-18 at 01:32. Reason: Fixed link.

New Lounger
    Thanks

OneNote files

I LOVE OneNote, and think you will like 2010 version better. FYI, the actual notebooks are stored by default here:

C:\Users|Username|MyDocuments\OneNote Notebooks

The notebooks stored here show up as folders; open a folder to see the individual sections stored as "sectionname.one." This is helpful if you want to copy one notebook or section to a different place (maybe a flash drive), or even sync OneNote files between computers. I actually use SyncToy (free download on Microsoft's website) to keep my OneNote files synced between my desktop and laptop.

Hope this helps; enjoy!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you are licensed to install your current Office Suite on a portable device for personal use. I installed Office 2010 on my netbook using the same key as on my PC without any problem. I'd say worth trying your present version to see if it works.

Good luck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneq8 View Post
    I think you are licensed to install your current Office Suite on a portable device for personal use. I installed Office 2010 on my netbook using the same key as on my PC without any problem. I'd say worth trying your present version to see if it works.

Good luck
    It depends on the SKU that the user has. See Installing in more than one device.

Joe