Thanks

FF 5 looses Google Toolbar. What is Mozilla doing

PC World has posted an article about Mozilla's efforts to deal with loosing the Google Toolbar in FF 5
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

L1NGUS (2011-07-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, until recently I had been running IE8 and FF. Both had the Google toolbar installed. I'm not big on adding anything to anything. If it isn't broke. . . But the Google toolbar was a must-have. Adding the Google toolbar was the first thing I did after installing a new version of either IE or FF. When I last upgraded FF and discovered the Google toolbar couldn't be added, that clinched it for me. Later FF. Just wanted to let you know I am now running IE9 after Susan Bradley gave it her approval and I had read several of your posts. I'm not a big fan of MS but what you've written about IE9 in conjunction with Windows makes sense. Thanks.

Thanks
    L1NGUS, First, Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster. We can always use more "experts" here, so welcome.

Thanks for the endorsement. I have been very happy with IE9. I do not seem to have any of the problems the few that do experience problems have had. I was having trouble keeping up with the updates on Chrome, and now FF, so for now I will stick with IE9. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-07-24 at 19:55.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Probably the worst thing is not the loss of the toolbar per se, but what it may mean in terms of google funding. If the google money stops, seems FF will be looking to a very dire future.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-07-24 at 19:54.

Thanks
    Competition is good, but sometimes developers can go too far. This is one instance of that. It seems Mozilla may have shot themselves in the foot. I do not use the Google Toolbar, but do have Google set as my default search engine, but for those that do, as L1NGUS states this settled it for him. Good-bye to FF.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    I actually use the google toolbar and use it for one single purpose: automatic, transparent bookmark synch between different browsers and different computers. I think a decision such as this does not affect FF alone, but it also affects users. I don't like google's stuff, in most cases (buggy, unreliable) and the toolbar showed that too, but this does really show that google cannot be trusted but to serve their own interests (no surprises there, anyway).
    I think this is something that will be very hard for FF to overcome. Won't affect me much, as FF is used just to check some website development, but I need to get a different solution for my bookmarks, as google really showed they cannot be trusted and it won't surprise me that they'll do this on IE too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I need to get a different solution for my bookmarks, as google really showed they cannot be trusted and it won't surprise me that they'll do this on IE too.
    Ruirib,

Give XMarks a look.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Ruirib,

Give XMarks a look.
    Hi RG,

I have tried XMarks in the past. Never worked properly, I am afraid. Lots of errors, actually the times it worked normally were outnumbered by the times it did not.
    Someone else recommended Linkman on another thread, I will have a look at it to get rid of the toolbar. It will involve some work, as I have a lot of older bookmars totally separate from the google bookmarks and I will have to see how to organize them in a way that suits me best.

Thanks for the suggestion, though .

Thanks
    It's a great opportunity for someone to create a replacement bar. Question is, who wants to grab it. Microsoft perhaps??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    It's a great opportunity for someone to create a replacement bar. Question is, who wants to grab it. Microsoft perhaps??
    Microsoft has the bing toolbar, but I must say I haven't ever seen it .

New Lounger
    Thanks

RE: FF 5 looses Google Toolbar. What is Mozilla doing | Windows ...

Interesting article. The most pertinent question is, "What is Mozilla doing?" - or maybe, "What is Mozilla THINKING?. I suppose this will mean a FireFox Version 6.x in the near future. There are too many upgrades, too often. While I know (?) it isn't the actuality, Mozilla seems intent on giving the market to Google Chrome.

Ted Myers (The OTHER Ted)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PSSITed View Post
    Interesting article. The most pertinent question is, "What is Mozilla doing?" - or maybe, "What is Mozilla THINKING?. I suppose this will mean a FireFox Version 6.x in the near future. There are too many upgrades, too often. While I know (?) it isn't the actuality, Mozilla seems intent on giving the market to Google Chrome.

Ted Myers (The OTHER Ted)
    Wasn't really a Mozilla choice, in this case.

Thanks
    Hey Ted, nice to meet you. Welcome to the Lounge.

Rui, I agree it wasn't really Mozilla's idea, but I'm wondering if these numerous updates might have contributed to Google's decision. I just have not been able to follow all the different updates and betas recently from either Mozilla or Chrome. That is another reason I will be sticking with IE9 exclusively for now. I just think it's the best alternative at this time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Rui, I agree it wasn't really Mozilla's idea, but I'm wondering if these numerous updates might have contributed to Google's decision. I just have not been able to follow all the different updates and betas recently from either Mozilla or Chrome. That is another reason I will be sticking with IE9 exclusively for now. I just think it's the best alternative at this time.
    Hi Ted,

It's possible that the continuous Firefox updating contributed to this. I understand it may be harder to maintain an add-in if the browser keeps changing. I would think it wouldn't be so hard to maintain an add-in architecture that would offer more stability in this area.

However, I think it may as well be more than just that. Clearly, in market share, Mozilla is the first competitor to take down. Why wouldn't google treat them as a competitor, considering how well Chrome has being doing in terms of usage numbers?

I do web development so IE is not the first choice, due to standards support. IE 9 is much better in this respect, but it still trails Chrome and Firefox. I also think IE has other issues (it clearly has a memory bug, as I leave my browser open all day and memory usage keeps going up in a way that ends up affecting page display and it is only solved by killing the process itself - or closing the browser, of course), but I also use it as my main browser... except when developing - I use Chrome as the browser I test my web pages first.