1. New Lounger
    Thanks

Auto Logon in Windows 7

I know how to set the registry to log on to Windows 7 automatically, but have been told that it only works on restart, not logoff. What I need to do is have it to where when a patron logs off the computer, it automatically relogs in under the same user. The reason for this is that our PC Reservation software must have a logged on user in order to initiate. This software acts as a front end, hiding the desktop and Explorer from the user until the patron enters a valid patron card number and PIN. It is set to automatically log off the computer when the patron is done or their time expires. What I don't want to happen is to have to force a reboot, but to just have the Windows user log back in again and present the reservation screen.

Anyone know if this will work in 7?

Thanks,
    Wendell

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Administrator
    Thanks

4. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. That actually wouldn't work in our environment because we have to be able to override using the shift key so we can log in as admin to make changes. We have our admin account secured down pretty well, so I"m not worried about someone being able to get into it. I just want the machines to auto login at reboot or logoff, unless the shift key is pressed. It has worked this way for years for us on XP, but with 7, I've been told it was changed.

5. Administrator
    Thanks
    Don't add the first key to the registry. Just use the second key.

Joe

6. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Don't add the first key to the registry. Just use the second key.

Joe
    Yep, that seemed to do it. Thanks!

Thanks
    If you read down on JoeP's link it mentions SysInternals Autologon.exe program. I tried this and it works great.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

8. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just came across something in this I wasn't expecting. It seems that if you use a USB keyboard and mouse, that the shift key doesn't always interrupt the login. I had it working and then had to disconnect everything to move the computer. When I plugged the keyboard and mouse back in, I didn't plug them into the exact same spot and the shift key no longer interrupted the login process. When I put them back into the same ports they were before, it worked. Even then, it sometimes takes me two or three reboots to get it to catch it.

Are the USB ports polled in a certain order or something?

9. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, after playing with this thing all day, I am finding that the shift key is being ignored almost all the time now, which means I can't interrupt the auto login. I just tried logging off around 10 times, all while holding the shift key down and it autologins to the limited user.

I have no idea how this could cause it, but the only thing that I did was to install an new driver for the NIC.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it wouldn't read the shift key and interrupt the login?

Frustrated in Texas,
    Wendell

10. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, after a lot of searching, I found the solution...at least I think it is the solution. It is a known problem in Windows 7 and some of the other MS OS's and there is a hotfix available for it. I post the link here in case anyone ever has need of it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526967

So far, it seems to work much more consistently.

11. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wgragg View Post
    I know how to set the registry to log on to Windows 7 automatically, but have been told that it only works on restart, not logoff. What I need to do is have it to where when a patron logs off the computer, it automatically relogs in under the same user. The reason for this is that our PC Reservation software must have a logged on user in order to initiate. This software acts as a front end, hiding the desktop and Explorer from the user until the patron enters a valid patron card number and PIN. It is set to automatically log off the computer when the patron is done or their time expires. What I don't want to happen is to have to force a reboot, but to just have the Windows user log back in again and present the reservation screen.

Anyone know if this will work in 7?

Thanks,
    Wendell
    There is only one solution available is Logonexpert software that can re-logon user after logoff

12. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hans.l View Post
    There is only one solution available is Logonexpert software that can re-logon user after logoff
    Actually, there is and does not require the installation of any outside software. I did a lot of research and finally found a post that explained the missing piece to me. You have to create a registry string entry in HKLM-Software-Microsoft-WindowsNT-Currentversion-Winlogon called ForceAutoLogon and give it a value of 1.

Note also that if you are using Windows 7, there is a hotfix you have to install if you are using USB keyboards. It is KB2526967.

I have done both of these and have deployed over 25 of the new computers and each one works like a champ, allowing me to interrupt the autologon at both restart and logoff. Sorry it took me so long to update this, but all my time has been taken up in the deployment.

Hope it helps someone.

13. Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for sharing your solution.

Joe

14. New Lounger
    Thanks

Auto login is not working in Windows7

Hello,

I am having the similar issue but I don't know the reason for that. Here is my problem.

Logged in as local administraotr, and installing our software on the machine. At the end of the software installation (i.e. in the post installation) we join the system in to the domain and we will enable the autologin functionality for one specific user. When I restart the machine first time, it automatically logged in to the user specified in the DefaultUserName.
    When I tried restarting the machine 2nd time, It doesn't login automatically.
    Then I looked in to the registry entries (winlogon) and saw that "DefaultPassword" entry got deleted and also "AutoAdminLogon" property is set to 0.
    When I manually change these values and tried restarting, it works but only the first time.

Note: I also tried increasing the count "AutoLogonCount" property and also by deleting this field from the registry but that doesn't help me.

The question now is that,
    1. Why the entry "DefaultPassword" is getting deleted? because which in turn turns the AutoAdminLogon
    property.
    2. How to overcome this, I don't want to tell my customer to login with the creditentials when ever the computer is restarted.

Thank you for your reply.

Regards,
    Saravanan