Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Corrupt files found during full image backup

Full image backups have been incomplete due to WIN7 finding corrupt files in the Users folders, specifically (mine) and Public.

So, are the Backups good otherwise? Are the files available in the Backups anyway? And how do I correct the file problem?

I have used an Administrative Command Prompt to schedule CHKDSK on computer start. However, when the timer counts down to allow cancellation of the program, the CHKDSK is self-cancelled by the computer before the timer reaches zero, resulting in no disk checking. How do I accomplish disk checking, and will this eliminate the corrupt files problem?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hammondmike View Post
    I have used an Administrative Command Prompt to schedule CHKDSK on computer start. However, when the timer counts down to allow cancellation of the program, the CHKDSK is self-cancelled by the computer before the timer reaches zero, resulting in no disk checking. How do I accomplish disk checking
    hammondmike,
    Hello... First some question's
    1. Did you specify which drive to run "chkdsk" C: etc.?
    2. Did you specify any "Switches" ex: f/ v/ r etc?
    3. Also you can try a free imaging program that's much better than the "windows flavor" Called Macrium Reflect Macrium Free Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-07-12 at 15:52.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    First, I am no novice to computing. Second, my answers follow:

1. Proper drive is specified.
    2. Switch /r is specified.
    3. Why should I use an outside program when Windows has an excellent built-in program??? (Have you NOT been following Fred Langa's column???)

Besides, I have Acronis TI Home 2011, if needed. But that is not the problem that I am addressing.

This "Corrupt Files" warning from Windows Backup is the problem. So, again, I require answers to the questions in my original post.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Why should I use an outside program when Windows has an excellent built-in program??? (Have you NOT been following Fred Langa's column???)
    Besides, I have Acronis TI Home 2011, if needed. But that is not the problem that I am addressing.
    I require answers to the questions in my original post.
    hammondmike,
    Hello... I meant no disrespect ..as i have no idea as to what level any poster is at... answering your questions

1. Compared to Macrium Reflect ..Windows is both "Clumsy" and "Clunky" I have done much testing of both.. just search Security & Backups forum for my answers to that question. Macrium

2. Acronis 2011 Has many problems of it own ... just take a read through their forum..Forum I'm sticking with 2010 V-7046 Just works ...and yes i do use the free Macrium program as well... "Kicks the pants off the Windows Flavor"

3. If something is preventing "chkdsk" from running you might try running a security scan from "Malwarebytes" Malwarebytes also a free program ..just to make sure that you don't have some kind of "Bug" Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-07-12 at 16:32.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    JPF--No Problem!!!

I use MBAM Pro every day, especially after coming off the Internet. No problems have been detected.

I noticed the problems from TI 2011, and that is why I tried WIN7 Backup (and it is "trying" isn't it!!!). Occasionally I receive "Corrupt Backup" notices from TI 2011, especially when trying to "Validate" the Backups. You got me thinking, and I might go back to TI 2010 to see if the problems are solved.

I ,also, might try Macrium, since my backup drive is twice the size of my internal drive. There is room enuff for two copies of everything on it.

But, my main concern is whether or not those "Corrupt Files" WIN7 found are really corrupt. If so, backing them up would be a waste of time. I sure would like to find a method of forcing my computer to run that CHKDSK program.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    hammondmike,
    Hello... If you do "go back" to Acronis 2010 stick at v7046 seems the best... Now to the other problem... What happens if you run a "Elevated Command Prompt" sfc/scannow ?
    PlainFred

Thanks
    BINGO!!!!!

Sfc was able to fix some files, but generated one humungous CBS.log file. So, how do I boil down all that information and locate the problem files? And how do I fix them?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    BINGO!!!!!

Sfc was able to fix some files, but generated one humungous CBS.log file. So, how do I boil down all that information and locate the problem files? And how do I fix them?
    hammondmike ,
    Well as far as i know the CBS log should state what has transpired ...EX: what has been repaired ..or not , which would give another clue... Did you try "chkdsk" again? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hiren's Boot CD

You might try to run chkdsk from the Hiren's BootCD. That would eliminate Windows 7 environment totally.

Thanks
    Hi hammondmike,
    Anytime I get a problem pc, I run a full scan in 'Safe Mode' with:- http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html downloaded using a 'Clean' pc.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks

Thanks

Talking

Thanks for all the advice, but...

rmonroe36: I did not see any program on Hiren's Boot CD that runs CHKDSK? To which program are you referring? I ran SeaTools for Windows, and no trouble was found. Also, be very careful when using Hiren's Boot CD. It has many old programs (some going back to WIN 98) which probably will not work on WIN 7.

Roderunner: The problem does not result from malware. I have Avast!, MBAM PRO, RUBotted running at all times, with many clean-up utilities available as well as access to on-line scan tools which I use regularly.

jwitaka: I was able to read the cbs.log file, but was unable to filter out all but the problem files. The upshot is that only three files were involved, none of which were critical to the system. Two looked like they were incorporated into WIN 7 from XP PRO, and I was able to delete them. The last one was in the Windows SxS folder and was undeleteable.

I think I found the problem. There is no separate System Partition on my HDD!!! I have located a MS TechNet "How To" file that describes a method to establish the Partition. Only problem is that no unused space exists on the HDD, so I will need to shrink one of the two partitions for the needed space. Which raises a question: Is it possible to shrink a partition within WIN 7, or will I need to use an outside Partition Manager tool???

Thanks
    You can use Win 7 Disk Manager to shrink a partition. I however found an easier UI with 3rd party Partition Wizard. (free) It's very easy to shrink your C partition, then set the new unallocated space by formating and set to simple Logical Drive. I did this on my 320 GB HD. I shrunk the C Drive to about 75 GB and set the unallocated space to D Drive Logical Drive. I then moved all my data to the D Drive. This included all the Windows data folders that are allowed to easily be movedd. now all my data is safe on the D drive even if I hose my C Drive and have to restore from an Image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks

Thumbs up

Since I have a dual-boot drive, MS has an excellent suggestion (believe it or not) of naming the System Partition: S. Not only is the partition separate, but also aptly designated: System=S. Now if I only could name the other partitions after their operating systems instead of C: and D: ....

Thanks
    You can rename partitions as you discovered with the S Drive. However I read somewhere that whenever Windows opens it always asigns the first drive (boot drive) as C. Not actually sure if this is correct or not.

- Start -> right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage"
    - click on "Disk Management" in the right pane.
    - find the partition in the lower-right portion of the right pane, right-click on it, and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast