New Lounger
    Thanks

Power Management Software

With Win7, is there any need to use third party power management software. I have seen an offer for Granola Software Power Management, receiving mostly favorable reviews. But I'm not sure if this type of software is needed and the claims of power savings are true. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks
    A Google search shows many sites discussing Power Management in Win 7. To me it appears the Win 7 Power Management does a very good job of saving power. This combined with judicial use of the best power saver of all..... Turn the PC off when you are not using it! Sleep works pretty well in Win 7 as well. I do not believe most of the 3rd party apps claims on how much power they save. granola states you can save 15 to 35 % all the time. I say hogwash. When you are using your PC you are going to use whatever power is necessary. When not using it let it sleep or shut it down, period! Sorry, I just don't believe their claimss.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

ksmall1998 (2011-07-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted. I constantly use sleep mode when I'm away from my PC. I guess it's similar to programs that claim to free up memory.

Thanks
    Actually apps can be found that do a very good job of freeing memory. Those that clean temp files, outdated log files, temp internet files, etc do free up considerable memory in many cases. Obviously this is a temp cleaning because these files will begin to fill again upon the next use. That's why I regularly clean out these files. Perhaps I'm paranoid but I do not like to leave a lot of what I consider junk on my PC after it's usefullness has ended.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-07-13 at 07:37.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I believe the OP means free up RAM. Programs that do that are nothing but snake oil. Windows Memory Management has been greatly improved. In Windows 7 RAM is released when it is needed. It makes no sense to force RAM to be released if it is not going to be used for something constructive.

Joe

Thanks
    I see, I stand corrected. Yes apps that claim to free RAM are most likely all snake oil. As Joe states Win 7 does a good job of this chore. I misinterpreted you comment as being HD memory.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks

It's not just about saving power

Hi,

I got to this thread because I'm looking for a way to have power management that doesn't cripple bittorent downloads when the PC is left unattended. So far I haven't found an option to do this with Windows 7 power management!