iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Looking for green (energy) in cloud computing

KNOWN ISSUES

Looking for green (energy) in cloud computing

By Katherine Murray

Office 365, the cloud-based offering from Microsoft that gives users access to Office and other applications for a small monthly subscription fee, launched last week to a modest amount of public acclaim.

From a computing vantage point, cloud services such as Office 365 look quite promising. But are they the smart choice for saving energy?

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/known-issues/known-issues/looking-for-green-(energy)-in-cloud-computing/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi -

I personally come subscribe to Windows Secrets for technical content. I hope that with the not too distant change in ownership we don't see more fluffy articles about being "green".

- MarkAardvark

Thanks
    Energy efficiency is a technical issue, and receives a lot of press in all tech publications. So it is very fitting that Windows Secrets Newsletter offers tips on "Green Computing". Awareness and actions we all can take may help keep the economy of the USA and the world going stronger in future years. A very real question is often asked as to whether the costs of "Green" tech practices are paying off in the value of energy savings. It isn't just about our electricity bills, either. I think this column and other articles in the tech press are offering valuable services by doing some of the analysis and offering individuals and businesses some real-world data and tips on saving energy and money.

Not caring about energy use in our homes and businesses is as costly as not caring about how much credit and debt we are incurring as a percentage of our incomes. Governments are now facing a debt vs. revenues crisis worldwide, and energy use is heading down the same road. I do not base my contributions to Windows Secrets on this type of article, but I like having these articles in this newsletter. There is plenty of "hard news" in the paid Windows Secrets edition, so I never feel cheated.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Fluff

I started reading this article and after the first couple of paragraphs, I realized that I was wasting my time. I agree with Mark, above; this content is hardly why I pay to subscribe to Windows Secrets. I'm looking for facts about how to make my customer's and my computing easier, safer and more productive. Or how to fix/circumvent some silly "feature" that M$ put in their OS.

I admit that being green is in vogue, but does it qualify as a entire column in Windows Secrets? This content should be on an external link, or in a different newsletter (like "Green Computing Secrets" or somesuch).

Dargoth11 ( an evil energy over-user )

Thanks
    If you agree, or don't agree with the "green concept", not including this sort of info just because you don't agree with it would just be wrong. Many of us believe this sort of content is appropriate in our newsletter. As Bob states there is an abundance of "hard" info in the Windows Secrets Newsletter to satisfy my and many other paid subscribers needs. As an example just because I don't need a lot of info on Microsoft Office (because of the way I use my office) doesn't mean it should not be included.

I also did not spend a lot of time on the mentioned article because it did not matter to my computing, but I'm sure it mattered to many others. These articles are informative, and indeed welcomed by many of us. If you do not like the article, just skip over it and go on.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy