iNET Interactive
    Thanks

ID those cryptic programs in Control Panel

LANGALIST PLUS

ID those cryptic programs in Control Panel

By Fred Langa

When software publishers don't play by the rules, it can be hard to identify some pieces of software.

If you don't recognize some of the programs installed in your PC, here's what to do.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/id-those-cryptic-programs-in-control-panel/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

HD PW protected.

Fred, good morning, but Tsk ! Tsk !

You wrote : The hard-drive passwords are tougher but can also be gotten around by removing
    the actual platters from inside the drive and placing them into a similar, but
    non-protected, drive's housing. (Some newer drives also include hardware-level
    encryption to prevent this hack from working.)

No way can this PW be circumvented. It is written both on the next sector after the 0-0 of the MBR and in the logic board. There is a flag set in the MBR to look for the next sector and wait there until the PW is given. It has to match both. I could offer a .pdf from IBM and Hitachi that explains this. There are all kinds of rumors floating around in this regard and your suggested run-around is one. It is set via the BIOS but not resident there. I took a HD from one Thinkpad into another, same type, and I was able to open it as I knew the PW and could satisfy the request, this shows that it is all on the HD. One needs highly sophisticated lab equipment to gain access to the data and around $500.00 for the service. This is the ultimate data protection, just do not forget the PW.
    I enjoy your stuff. JP.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is this .pdf. Fred.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lounger
    Thanks
    Saying someone could circumvent your password by messing around with the platters is a bit like saying someone could circumvent your office safe with an acetylene torch.

But anyway, I also wanted to say that mucking around with the registry to examine the uninstall list is slightly overkill. I highly recommend the excellent MyUninstaller from Nirsoft – a small, portable, freeware replacement for the Add/Remove Programs control panel that's fast and gives a lot more detail.