Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Locating Product Keys

I know those listed products will find the keys for Windows, however, they also show up as spyware. I prefer two other programs that are also much more useful in additional ways. Both programs are also free utilities.
    The first application is Belarc Adviser. Not only does it retrieve your Windows keys, but it pulls out most other product keys. The report also provides pages of detailed information that is very helpful to the computer owner and or a repair person to understand that specific computer.

The second application is Speccy. It doesn't pull out as much information as Belarc, however, it pulls out the Windows key, and also goes deeper into component details, such as the exact brand, voltage, etc of installed memory modules. It pulls up the current temperatures of the motherboard, hard drive and CPU. It has a detailed SMART report on the hard drive.

Apparently these are better kept secrets than doing an in place upgrade of Windows XP, Vista, or 7. I have been using the above programs for troubleshooting, repairing, and upgrading computers for at least 8 years.

Cheers,

Dave Leippe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade windows 7 option did not work

When I get to the section that I have to pick upgrade or install windows 7 i pick Upgrade. I get a massage that my copy of windows does not allow upgrades.
    anyone else seen this problem.

Thanks
    More info is needed. What version of Windows are you attempting to upgrade? What version of Windows are you attempting to upgrade to? These questions would be versions and bitness of versions. I realize the title does say Win 7, but are you upgrading from a version of Win 7 to another version of Win 7 or from XP or Vista to Win 7. From Home Premium to Pro or Ultimate, from 32 Bit to 64 Bit. There are many different variables that you would have to provide before any answer could be provided.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by korollyn View Post
    I have discovered that installation of IE9 fails after performing an upgrade from Vista to 7 (at least for me...and a few others with whom I have consulted). It only apparently responds to a clean install. Will this fix solve that problem? I have delayes moving to IE9 for the sole reason that I don't want to deal with the re-creation of my whole system.
    As I mentioned earlier, I have been unable to do Repair Installs with Win7.
    Regarding IE - Anyone who wishing to do repair Installs SHOULD ONLY USE the version of IE, that was in the original Install CD.
    MS have threaded IE into the OS like a Goa'uld and everyone is letting them get away with it.
    Thus when you do a Repair Install, it will try to fix IE, but it (your CD) knows nothing about the subsequent versions of IE
    So uninstall your later versions of IE, and use Firefox to send a strong message to MS

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Capen View Post

TOP STORY

Win7's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall

By Fred Langa

You deleted a file yesterday; now you really need it back. Your Windows recycle bin is empty — what now?

Your next-best option is the Restore Previous Versions tool — a truly great, automatic data-protection feature buried in Win7.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Fred:
    If there is an answer to this I'm sure you have it.
    I have used the "no reformat repair install" It didn't work for me. W7 hangs at the pulsating windows splash screen. It is a new install, dual booting with XPP.
    If I choose to go to XP at the first boot menu, I can go there and it works just fine. ( so I think it is not a hardware problem)
    If I choose the default W7 ( and it did work for the first week) , Now I can't get past the splash screen. If left for some time an error message appears telling there is a hardware problem. The problem started after the computer was left running over night and it shut down on its own.
    Your help is much appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvM View Post
    Fred:
    If there is an answer to this I'm sure you have it.
    I have used the "no reformat repair install" It didn't work for me. W7 hangs at the pulsating windows splash screen. It is a new install, dual booting with XPP.
    If I choose to go to XP at the first boot menu, I can go there and it works just fine. ( so I think it is not a hardware problem)
    If I choose the default W7 ( and it did work for the first week) , Now I can't get past the splash screen. If left for some time an error message appears telling there is a hardware problem. The problem started after the computer was left running over night and it shut down on its own.
    Your help is much appreciated.
    HarvM,

I think you should start a new topic, about your issue, in the Windows 7 forum. It's the best way to ensure a fast response to your specific issue.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Need some information. I read through all 7 pages of posts to this thread and did not see my situation. I have Win7 Home Edition without SP1 pre-installed on a ZT Desktop PC. I have been getting a number of BSODs at different times since it was purchased about 2 yrs ago, but have just lived with it during that time. The BSOD frequency is about 2 or 3 times per week. The ZT tech support (in New Delhli) folks have no answers other than reformat and reinstall Windows.

I attemted to use Fred Langa's method of reinstall-upgrade but the OEM Recovery DVD that came with the computer does not offer me the choice for upgrading. The setup just proceeds to download the files when I click on "Install". It also does not offer me the option to "get updated file from the internet". It just starts installing. Well, I immediately cancelled out.

There was one screen that did appear that showed two partitions. C: (OS) and another smaller partition for System files. Does that mean I can not use the Fred's method?

Please advise.

PS: I also have an unused Windows 7 Upgrade package purchased a while back that does not have SP1 included. Would this be helpful to me in any way to do Fred's method of reinstall-upgrade?

Any assistance is most appreciated.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    HarvM,

I think you should start a new topic, about your issue, in the Windows 7 forum. It's the best way to ensure a fast response to your specific issue.
    Just what I was thinking
    follow the new post in Windows 7 forum . search tags Hangs, fix boot
    Last edited by HarvM; 2012-04-10 at 20:19.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Win7 Service Pack 1 cannot be uninstalled. Does anyone know what to do now, by chance? Would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Download a copy of Windows 7 with Srvice Pack 1 from here.
    ...And look into performing drive image backups for future reference.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-04-11 at 14:21.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DTPWarrior View Post
    Need some information. I read through all 7 pages of posts to this thread and did not see my situation. I have Win7 Home Edition without SP1 pre-installed on a ZT Desktop PC. I have been getting a number of BSODs at different times since it was purchased about 2 yrs ago, but have just lived with it during that time. The BSOD frequency is about 2 or 3 times per week. The ZT tech support (in New Delhli) folks have no answers other than reformat and reinstall Windows.

I attemted to use Fred Langa's method of reinstall-upgrade but the OEM Recovery DVD that came with the computer does not offer me the choice for upgrading. The setup just proceeds to download the files when I click on "Install". It also does not offer me the option to "get updated file from the internet". It just starts installing. Well, I immediately cancelled out.

There was one screen that did appear that showed two partitions. C: (OS) and another smaller partition for System files. Does that mean I can not use the Fred's method?

Please advise.

PS: I also have an unused Windows 7 Upgrade package purchased a while back that does not have SP1 included. Would this be helpful to me in any way to do Fred's method of reinstall-upgrade?

Any assistance is most appreciated.
    Please start a separate topic on your own issue. These threads are hardly the best place to ask for help with specific issues. In your own topic, you will get full attention, concerning your specific issue.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Please forgive my ignorance, but after it is downloaded, what do I do next? Install it? Won't that be a new installation? I was hoping to do the "no-reformat, nondestructive install." Not going to be possible?

Thanks
    Apologies , please create a separate thread in the appropriate Windows forum.
    You'll get better attention, and a more specific response.
    Thanks
    C

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ATTN: Fred Langa,.... an Update for your MOST excellent article!

The Method of "Uninstalling Windows Service Pack 1 (SP1) will no longer work, at lrast on my computer.
    I got the following info from one of Microsoft's FINEST techs, and I am assuming that it should work, but I have NOT done a re-install yet so I cannot officially verify it yet, but here goes:

You can uninstall service pack from the command prompt by using the following steps

1. Click the Start button , and then, in the search box, type Command Prompt.
    2. In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. Type the following: wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:976932
    4. Press the Enter key.

You do not have to remove service pack 1 if you can use an installation file which has integrated service pack 1 in it to perform a repair install on the computer.
    I hope that this might help!

P.S. from some of what I have read above it might be best to uninstall Internet Explorer first.
    Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Save yourself a world of pain. If you have an encrypted system drive, such as with TrueCrypt, decrypt the drive first. Don't just enter the password, decrypt the entire drive.

If you enjoy formatting discs, reinstalling Windows and downloading backups, don't bother.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast