2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Install without libraries

I am about to move to win 7 (from xp). I have no use for "libraries". Is there any way of following the MS clean install procedure but have my data just restored of folders with a similar arrangement to what they have on xp? With the same data in the same folders, and no libraries between the user and the data?
    Peter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Peter,

I don't know of any way to install Win 7 w/o libraries. However, that said, you don't have to use them.
    I always move My Documents {Documents in Win 7} to another drive {get them off C:} and when I installed 7 I just moved Documents to my G: drive and then restored the contents of my backup to that directory. Now I can get to them, with the same structure, by either going through the G: drive or the Documents library...best of both worlds. I've actually become a fan of libraries after using them for a while.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I am also a proponent of a separate data partition. This way when I have to restore from an Image (I "play" a lot with my PC and sometimes, well fairly often, screw things up and resort to a restore from an Up To Date Image as this is faster than fixing all the problems I created.) I just restore my C Drive (OS and Apps) without touching my data. As RG states, you don't have to use the libraries, but after getting used to them, I find myself using them more as well. What I have done also is to place a shortcut to the moved "User Name" folder on my desktop. This way one click will open this folder to access all my data. (remember the "user name" folder is actually a data folder and I have moved this folder to my D Drive.)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    One additional step I took was to add the moved documents folder to the Documents library and make it the default so when I click on Documents in the Library list I get what I expect.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Libraries are just like a classification scheme, if you will, they won't hinder anything that you may want to do. Everything is still there, as it was on XP. You have no need to use libraries. I don't use them.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Thanks for the advice.

ten charas