Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live Photo Gallery-Strange Problem

My OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit with all updates installed.

When I try to open WLPG from either the start menu or the .exe file I am told WLPG cannot start-error code 0X8007002.

I have no idea what caused this. I hadn't used WLPG for a few weeks, and only came across the problem yesterday.The strange thing is that if I go to my pictures folder and open any picture it opens in WLPG.

I tried exploring the images I created with Macrium Reflect,but all of them, going back to the oldest, produce the same error.

I ran sfc /scannow,and no integrity violations were found, although I assume the WLPG files would not be treated as system protected files anyway.

I also used the repair option in add/remove programs, and was told that the repair completed successfully, but it made no difference.

Does anyone have any advice on this problem?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Thanks
    I think I would try to uninstall and reinstall Windows Live Essentials (which includes WLPG) My wife and I use WLPG on our laptops with no ill effects. I would suspect something has corrupted the .exe file. You might also run some manual scans with AV and AM apps just to rule out a nasty causing your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    There is a new version of Windows Live 2011, which was released last week. You may try that version, it is reported to have some issues fixed.

Thanks
    Good point Rui. This link should take you to the new version. I also would uninstall the old version first.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted and ruirib.I uninstalled Windows Live Essentials and installed the new version,but still have the same problem.

I have run scans with Avast Internet Security and Malwarebytes, which found nothing.

Any other ideas?

Please advise,

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    Roy, have you made any changes to your computer just before the behavior started?

Have you tried System Restore to go back to a time just before the behavior was first noted?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would open a command prompt and type: sfc /scannow .

That error is weird. I could find references to a lot of situations, but never with Windows Live Photo Gallery

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Deadeye81 and ruirib, as I mentioned in my original post I ran the sfc /scannow command amd no integrity violations were found.

Regarding System Restore,if I go back to before the problem arose, i.e. to a restore point called "CheckIfInstallerIsBusy" dated 8 July (not created by me-what on earth does this restore point description refer to?) then, apart from deleting some updates to third party programs, a version of Windows Live Essentials which has an older version number than the version that will be restored is listed.Also listed to be deleted and replaced by earlier versions are:

AMD(HDC)08/05/2010 1.12.306 Driver
    Intel (SCSI) Adapter 08/06/2010 8.6.2.1315 Driver
    Microsoft (Bluetooth) 06/21/2006 6.1.7601.17607 Driver
    Microsoft (USB) 06/21/2006 6.1.7601.17577 Driver
    Microsoft (USB) 06/21/2006 6.1.7601/17586 Driver (This driver is listed twice)
    NVIDIA Corp (SCSI Adapter) 08/6/2010 10.6...(The full version number could not be fitted in to the System Restore Window)
    Realtek (MEDIA) 06/14/2011 6....(The full version number could not be fitted in to the System Restore Window)

Also listed to be deleted are 6 Microsoft Updates I installed on 12 July,and if I go ahead with using this restore point I hope I am correct in assuming Microsoft Update will offer these updates again.

Should I go ahead and use this restore point?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    Any time you roll back a PC, WU will again offer updates you do not have. This is very similar to when an Out Of Date image is used to restore an OS. What I normally do is go to the WU window and check for updates. (I'm impatient for Windows to realize my OS is out of date) It's possible the new version Of Windows live Essentials (WLPG is a part of WLE) broke your WLPG. The restore point you mention probably is the correct one to use.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this without a layer of protection, then create a system Image prior to restoring from that restore point. This way if something bad happens you can using the Image to get to where you are right now in about 10 minutes. I have found that Up To Date Images are a far superior method of restoration that System Restore in my opinion.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted,
    I created an updated system image with Macrium Reflect and then used the system restore point I referred to previously.System Restore completed successfully but I still had the same problem with WLPG.I went to Programs and Features, and when I right clicked Windows Live Essentials I was told there was a problem with one of the programs and that I should uninstall WLE and reinstall from the installer link given.The installer version was 15.4.3538.0513.I reinstalled WLE from that but still have the same WLPG problem!

Further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    Hmmm, I seem to have run out of ideas. The version you mentioned is the exact version I have after installing the latest version. There must be something else going on in your system.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried various suggestions made in the WLPG forum, and none of those worked either, so I bit the bullet and did a clean reinstall of Windows.

WLPG now works.

In passing, mention was made on the WLPG forum that the Windows Live Essentials uninstaller is mediocre. I agree, because I found it left many registry entries and the program file behind.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Regards,Roy

Thanks
    Glad to hear the reinstall seems to have fixed a lot of problems for you. It's very difficult to say what the original cause was. You have created an Image of your now working system, correct??? You will recreate a new Image when you change your system, correct??? Images are the faster way to recover from unexpected problems. It seems to ALWAYS take more time fixing a problem than restoring to an Up To Date Image. I often spend a while trying to fix just to increase my knowledge, but for those "I installed something that made a mess, or something really bad just happened or downloaded to my PC" a restore always is faster.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted,

Yes I have created a new image with Macrium Reflect and will make others when I change my system. One thing I would like to ask you about and that is the process of restoring my system from a system image.In the present case as the image I made prior to the clean reinstall included the non working WLPG, and since I couldn't find any way to delete everything relating to WLPG from the image, I copied and pasted everything I wanted to restore from the image. Also I wasn't sure whether if I did the same thing with my program files the programs would still work. (My documents, pictures etc. and program files are all on my C drive-would it be better if I have to reinstall again in future if I copied and pasted all those to another drive, so that they wouldn't be affected?)

Your comments would be appreciated, but if you feel I should deal with this in a new thread I will of course do so.

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    My posts in this thread and the reference thread you will see in my posts in this thread will explain a lot about how I use my images. No need to rehash it all.

I do not know the exact procedure in Macrium Reflect as I use Acronis but in Acronis this is the procedure (my Images are stored on an Ext USB HD):

1) Insert the Imaging app boot media (This is created once for the chosen app), and connect the Ext USB HD

2) Reboot the PC (Bios must be set boot from Optical Drive before HD)

3) Boot to the Imaging app

4) Follow the instructions for Restoring your HD or Partitions. (This is the wording in Acronis, again unsure about Macrium)

5) After starting Restore, grab some coffee (about half a cup will do) and less than 10 minutes later your restore will finish.

6) Eject Optical media, disconnect Ext HD, reboot PC

When the PC reboots you should have a restored PC. Note the items in my refered threads.

I also back up my data more often than my Images to 2 separate PC's over our network (I don't think there is a big chance all PC's will fail at the same time) After the restoration I can grab the latest data from one of the other PC's. Since my data is stored on a separate partition from the OS and apps, this step is generally not needed because generally I only have to restore the OS partition, not the data partition, but the option is there in case.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-07-24 at 15:41.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast