Star Lounger
    Thanks

Optional Line Break -- This time for 2007

I have need for the optional line break such as was available in WordPerfect. It functions like an optional hyphen, except the dash is not created.

Earlier discussions have mentioned the zero-width space and other options.

Has 2007 finally given us this feature? If not, how can I find the zero-width space in 2007?

Thanks.
    [I have been here for years; I had to get things restarted]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    John,

Could you please define what you mean as an optional line break?
    If it is what I think it is you can accomplish it through the use of the Keep Lines Together & Keep With Next options in the Format Paragraph Dialog on the Line and Page Breaks tab.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the Insert Symbol dialog, Special Characters tab, choose "No-width optional break". This will insert a double-box symbol if youhave the View All turned on, but acts as a break if needed. (This is useful for allowing a break in some text situations, but be aware that if you use it within a long URL, the symbol will mess up the validity of the URL.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EricFletcher View Post
    In the Insert Symbol dialog, Special Characters tab, choose "No-width optional break". This will insert a double-box symbol if youhave the View All turned on, but acts as a break if needed. (This is useful for allowing a break in some text situations, but be aware that if you use it within a long URL, the symbol will mess up the validity of the URL.)
    AHA!!! So THAT'S where it is. Earlier discussions had mentioned this, but I could not find it.
    [I have been here for years; I had to get things restarted]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In response to RetiredGeek, one place where the optional line break/space is useful is to allow a line break after a "/" rather than unnecessary hyphenation or a large gap at the end of a line of text. Thanks, EricFletcher, for the answer to a minor MSWord problem that has been bugging this WordPerfect user.