Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win200pro on Celeron

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2615DVD with Cleron processor.

The min req. per MS for Win2000pro are Pentium-compatible 133mhz and 64mb RAM I have the RAM and the Mhz. but not a Pentium. (maybe Celeron is "pentium Compatible"?)

This is what my Norton system info utility tells me I have.

GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 6 430 MHz Stepping 10
    I have 64mb RAM

I searched Intel, Toshiba, and MS web pages. The only mention of Win2000pro for my machine is at Toshiba where a new BIOS was put out n JUNE 01 and one of the items it adresses is Win2000 compatibilty. That BIOS may be issued for non-Celeron or Models other than mine therefor the Win2000 compatibilty may not apply to my model.

According to NORTON Benchmarking tool my machine is a 150 and a pentium 166 would be a 57....on a relative scale that uses a 16mhx 386sx as a base (zero)

Can I install win2000pro
    Is it recomended

ileacy

Re: Win200pro on Celeron

You should be fine. But I really would recommend more memory.

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2590CDT which is W2K compatible. And shortly, will be tested as XP compatible. Celeron is a Pentium compatible processor, just a bit short on Cache and memory speed.

I added 128MB of bios upgrade to version 7.40.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks Ian

I have 128mb on the way and found that bios 7.50 is out superceding 7.4 adding one more item to 7.4 that mmay or may not be of importance to you. I mention it in case it is.

Does memory added in in a PCmcia slot add to the seed, It seems 194meg is the max for my Satellite.??

I also ordered some more RAM for my Desk Top... It was cheap enough.

ileacy

Probably. If memory serves correct, you have 64MB hardwired and a single memory upgrade socket that takes either 64MB or 128MB.

PCMCIA Ram is not a main memory option.

And yes, Kingston quality and prices are excellent.

ileacy

What link did you use to find out about the new bios release?

The <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.csdsupport.toshiba.com/tais/csd/support/products/bios/>main</A> bios page does not show a later version.

ileacy

Tx Jason. I updated my records.

Thats the problem with old links that are still valid but point to out of date info.

PS: Forum <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/w3thelp/markup.pl>Help Section 18</A> describes how to use markup tags for the board. Look for "url" tags to see how to do it "pretty".

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Link made live 22-10-01 - Leif

here:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlViewDL.jsp?soid=120217&moid=1073769701&BV _SessionID=@@@@1614526178.1003768740@@@@&BV_Engine ID=gadccfhihmlibfekcghcfmfdgli.0&ct=DL>Download - File Details - 1261dv75.exe </A>

sorry I do not know how to make it elegant like you did

Jason

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just my 2p - I installed win2k pro (in the hope of greater system stability) on my laptop with similar spec, but only 300MHz Celeron, jumped through all the BIOS upgrade hoops etc, and eventually reverted to w98 because it was just tooooo slow (we're talking 6 minute boot times, and ages to do anything). Tried several reinstalls, newsgroup searching etc to improve, but in the end just gave up. More memory might have helped, but at the time it was too expensive. It may still be worth it, but I suggest you just think about why you're doing it and whether those reasons make it worth the hassle you will have to go through.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Great 2p

I am looking for more stability. I have had hell with this Notebook. My 3rd Toshiba. First 2 great.

This one crashes several times a day. Hangs up at shut down. It is just unstable. I have done

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Great 2p

I am looking for more stability. I have had hell with this Notebook. My 3rd Toshiba. First 2 great.

This one crashes several times a day. Hangs up at shut down. It is just unstable. I have done all the corresponding up date stuff. No dice. I got this virus from hell and have to re-install e-ver-y thing and was thinking I'd go to Windows 2k. We have a new box headed here for our little bitty LAN that is coming with 2K. so that is why. I may hold off though after input.

Jason

ileacy

Memory is definitely a key to performance with W2K. You should be fine with the 128MB you have on order (total 192MB).

You should however seriously consider upgrading to WXP instead of W2K. You will have a better and simpler upgrade experience.

I can tell you my specific experience after 25Oct when I get my hands on a retail build.

PS: Many of the things you learn for W2K will also apply to WXP and vice versa.