New Lounger
    Thanks

Unwanted Upgrades

I removed internet explorer as soon as I could but update keeps pushing patches to old versions and trying to sneak new versions past me.

I run Office 2010 at home and am offered updates for 2007.

At work it is the other way round.

I could (and I do) reject these, but I'm wondering how I just make them go away - until I want them back (visual image of hell freezing over?)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chipili View Post
    I removed internet explorer as soon as I could but update keeps pushing patches to old versions and trying to sneak new versions past me.
    I could (and I do) reject these, but I'm wondering how I just make them go away - until I want them back (visual image of hell freezing over?)
    chipili,
    Hello....And welcome to the "Lounge" You will find many here that will try to help you... With your PC questions. First i have to ask....How exactly did you "remove" Internet Explorer" ? I have done this on one of my OS's and is a very time consuming and difficult thing to do. As to your problem of being offered "Patches and Updates" you have to configure your "Windows Update" and set the "drop down" (Change settings) to whichever setting that you want. I'm not recommending that you set them like mine (see screenshot) As i have a different paradigm than most... Regards Fred

PS: you can also "Click" on the "Update" and select to "Hide" it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-07-14 at 04:38.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To answer the first question - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

After which MS promise "Internet Explorer 8 will now be uninstalled. The system will restart after the installation."

My Windows Update is one down from yours at "always ask about everything" but those supposedly removed programs keep appearing and the op was about getting rid of the clutter.

Thanks
    This does not "remove" IE, it removes the later version and defaults back to an earlier version. All you have effectively done is removed a more secure version of IE and replaced it with a less secure version. Yes you removed IE8, and reverted to IE7. IE is an integral part of Windows in most of the world. (I guess the European version does not include IE). Since you still have IE, you will be offered the updates. Since you have reverted to an earlier version, you will be offered updates for the earlier version.

My suggestion is to install IE8, accept the updates, which are security updates for the most part, and just not use this browser.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    IE8 is the version included in Windows 7. Disabling IE8 does not revert to an older IE version as there is no older IE version for Windows 7.

You may be still seeing some updates because some IE components may be required for other Windows components and not be uninstalled. If you wish to not see a particular update right click on the update and select "hide update".

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

chipili (2011-07-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Clicking Start and typing internet into the search box does not bring up an offering of any version ie. After all <naive> MS said it would be uninstalled </naive> didn't they?

I suspect in the case of ie8 it is as JoeP517 suggests, bits required for other reasons.

Also the offer to install ie9 might be seen as marketing?

The offering updates to the wrong versions of office (and also to components not installed - OneNote for example) is just an annoyance.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chipili View Post
    Clicking Start and typing internet into the search box does not bring up an offering of any version ie. After all <naive> MS said it would be uninstalled </naive> didn't they?
    chipili,
    Hello,
    To find out If you have uninstalled any program download and install this small free program. Everything It will find all the "bits" that would be leftover,, Just type in Everything's search box "Internet Explorer" ...you will be in for a surprise.... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)