Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Malwarebytes shows no infection. In regards to the reset windows update, that is the problem. Everything is grayed out and there is a message that "some settings are managed by the system administrator" The settings are locked on NEVER CHECK FOR UPDATES and I cannot change it even though I am the Administrator. I activated the hidden Administrator user and tried again, but got the same results. The only thing I can think of is that somehow the group policy settings could be corrupted. Since I am using win7HomePremium I cannot use gpedit and I don't know which registry settings if any that I could edit to correct the problem? Any ideas?

Thanks

Local Security Policy

Check this setting:

Start>type secpol.msc>Security settings>Local Policies>Security options.

1. In the right pane scroll down to User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode. Make sure it is enabled. If not, right click on it>properties>enable

HTH,
    Maud

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestion. Secpol.msc is not shown through the start menu. I did find it using a file search program it is located in c
    C:\Windows\winscx\amd64-----------------------policytools---etc. When I click it to start it I get the following message: mmc could not create the snap-in.

I am runnilng an oem version of win 7 and I suspect that acer has disabled such capabilities. Is there any way to directly edit the registry to achieve the same results? Thanks again for your help.

Jud G

Thanks

3 ways to access Local Security Policy

Should make no difference if OEM version or full version. I have both full version and OEM version of Win 7 Pro, Home version Win 7 full and OEM (Acer Laptop). No problems accessing it on all 4. Secpol.msc should be located in C:\Windows\system32 folder.... double click it.

Suprising that secpol.msc showed no results when you type in the search (You must type it in completely). It can be accessed additionally by Start> Control Panel> System and Security> Administrative Tools> on Right side click Local Security Policy> Security settings>Local Policies>Security options. In the right pane scroll down to User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode. Make sure it is enabled. If not, right click on it>properties>enable.

Hope this is your solution,
    Maud
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2012-09-23 at 00:13.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maudibe For This Useful Post:

Jud G (2012-09-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It can be accessed additionally by Start> Control Panel> System and Security> Administrative Tools> on Right side click Local Security Policy> Security settings>Local Policies>Security options. In the right pane scroll down to User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode. Make sure it is enabled. If not, right click on it>properties>enable.
    There is no entry in the right pane for Local Security Policy!?? Additionally in the Win32 folder Secpol.Msc was non-existant. As I said in a previous transmission, I had located a copy of secpol.msc in another folder, so i copied it (120KB) into win32. It then became visible on the start menu search function box, but when I double clicked it a Local Security policy window opened with the following message in the right pane "MMC COULD NOT CREATE THE SNAP-IN' I am at a loss as to how to proceed. Any other suggestions?

Jud G

Thanks

Let's get our hands dirty

Jud,

Firstly, Create a system restore point then do the following:

Make sure .Net Framework 3.5 is enabled: Start> Control Panel> Programs> Under Programs and Features click Turn Windows features on or off> Make sure Microsoft .Net Framework is enabled by placing a check next to it.

Then:
    Start> Search> mmc.exe> File> Add/Remove snapins> Add the Local Security Policy from the left pane to the right pane by highlighting and clicking add> OK

If Local Secrity Policy is not there then run the SFC check tool to install missing components:
    Start> All Programs> Accessories> Right Click Commnd Prompt> Run as Administrator. At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow then press ENTER
    sfc scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

HTH,
    Maud
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2012-09-24 at 21:15.

New Lounger
    Thanks

You got a pirated copy of Windows.

You said in your first post that the computer repair place "reinstalled the Ultimate version of Windows 7, not the Home Premium I had before the failure". I promise you that you got a hacked copy of Windows. They had to disable your computer from ever contacting a Microsoft update server so they wouldn't get caught. I'm sorry I don't have a fix but I'd be contacting that company and demanding they remove the illegal copy and fix their mistake. If you'd rather not then your stuck never getting updates.

Thanks
    I wonder if you can use your original key to change the activation of your Windows. Most Win 7 Installations include all versions of Windows and the key unlocks the version that you have paid for.

This might be one of those cases where a call to MS for activation assistance is in order.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for all the confusion. I tail-gated on this thread starting with post #12. and I do not have the Ultimate version of Win7. I have Home Premium 64 bit which does not have Local Security Policy available. I have the Acer Aspire 5750 Laptop which I purchased new. It uses the oem version of win7, so I cannot get support from Microsoft. Acer support is hopeless. All they can suggest is to do a complete reinstallation which would mean reinstalling all my applications, and if that doesn't work then call them back. I have used MalwareBytes and 3 or 4 other virus scanner tools and they all show a clean bill of health.

I can manually use Windows update, the problem I have is that Windows will not AUTOMATICALLY check for updates. When I go to the Choose how Windows can Install Updates (Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Update>Change settings It is locked on "Never check for updates (Not recommended)) and the Important Updates Block is greyed out. There is an Information message in a yellow block that says "Some Settings are managed by your system administrator." I am the Administrator, this computer is not part of a domain and never has been. I have ran the SFC CheckTool from a Command Window and it says all my system files are up to date.

Thanks to all for your input. Maudibe, if you have any other suggestions I would appreciate your input.

Jud G

Thanks
    Thought I had access it before in my Win 7 home version puters. Just tried to and not there. With some investigating, Jud is correct, secpol is limited to Pro versions and above. Is the Widows update service started Start> type services> Windows Update> Automatic? Here is something I dug up while querying secpol.msc:

"The Windows Update service" is not available" and all of the check boxes and
    drop-down menus are greyed out. Automatic Update Service is missing from the
    services.msc list.
    Can happen if the wuaueng.dll file is not registered.

Register the file wuaueng.dll:
    Click Start, select Run
    Type: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    Press OK.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Problem is fixed, but I don't know what was wrong. I was checking around on the Microsoft Site and found their Win Fix page. One of their files addressed security matters, it sounded promising, so I clicked on it and allowed it to inspect my system. It said it found a problem (no details) and asked for permission to fix it. I clicked on yes and it churned around about a minute and advised that the found problem had beer corrected. I then went to Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Update>Change Settings and found that the previously greyed out settings were now available for my use.

It could have very well have been a problem with the wuaueng.dll as you suggested. At any rate I am back in business with Automatic Updating. MS had set it on full Automatic with their fix-it program, which I changed to Advise me of updates and ask for permission to install them. All is well. THANK YOU.

Jud

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12