New Lounger
    Thanks

Installing a new C-Drive

I am looking for information on upgrading my C-drive. I have purchased a new 160Gb solid state drive and am wondering if there is a way to transfer Windows and programs to the new drive. My intuition says that I will have to make a complete new install including Windows, SP1, updates, and then reinstalling all of my software. Before I start on this time sucking process, wondering if anyone has any ideas or hints such as possibly "restoring system image" to a new drive?

Thanks for the help, Ben

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bnwilson6624 View Post
    I am looking for information on upgrading my C-drive. I have purchased a new 160Gb solid state drive and am wondering if there is a way to transfer Windows and programs to the new drive. My intuition says that I will have to make a complete new install including Windows, SP1, updates, and then reinstalling all of my software. Before I start on this time sucking process, wondering if anyone has any ideas or hints such as possibly "restoring system image" to a new drive?
    Ben,
    Hello... Yes you can "Image" your OS, save it to a 2nd internal ,or external HD..Swap out old HD and boot from a "Recovery Disk". Then recover the image to the SSD.... There are some questions as far as what Imaging system your going to use (Acronis, Macrium, Windows)...I have heard that there might be some problems with "Offset" differences using SSD's, but i have not done this. I think that Imaging would be the way to go. There might be some complaining from Windows ...not being "Genuine", but all that one would take is a phone call.Regards Fred

PS: some additional Info... SSD Offset From what i have read, try and "setup" your partitions on the SSD first and let windows do the "Alignment" Before the recovery,
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-07-14 at 16:10.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I have read that if you partition the old HD so that the C Drive is identical in size to the new SSD, then create your image. This was discussed previously I believe in this thread.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy