New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Refuses to Sleep or Hibernate !!

When purchased a year ago, my new HP desktop computer with Win 7 WOULD sleep or hibernate, based on the configuration settings I set up. When in active mode, the hardware startup button on the computer would have a blue light, but after the set period of inactivity, the startup button would change to an orange glow, indicating sleep or hibernation mode.
    I leave my computers on 24/7, except when away on a trip or vacation.
    This computer is fully updated with all Win 7 updates & security as well as SP1.
    One morning I went over to my computers only to find the blue light glowing on the Startup button of the Win 7 machine. It was fully active.
    I assumed that an overnight Windows (or other) update had activated the computer. I rebooted & waited 30 minutes. The light was still blue. I checked the settings for sleep mode or hibernation & they were as I had set them. Several months have passed & that computer remains ACTIVE 24/7. I've done a registry cleanup which did not correct the problem. The hard drive spins merrily away & all functions are active. Fortunately the monitor has an on/off switch so I turn it off manually. Must I now manually shut down my Win 7 unit when I'm done for the day?
    I'm thinking that some program is interfering with or keeping that computer awake. How do I track the problem?
    What do I do now???

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post
    I'm thinking that some program is interfering with or keeping that computer awake. How do I track the problem?
    What do I do now???
    Seafarer,
    Hello..One thing to check..Control Panel>Power Options>Change Plan Settings>Change Advanced power settings> Sleep... Choose from "Drop Down"Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Sleepmode troubleshooters may provide information on what device is keeping your os from sleeping soundly:
    powercfg -ENERGY
    (Evaluation of energy efficiency and errors)
    powercfg lastwake
    (what had Waken Up Windows Last)
    powercfg -a
    (Checks available sleep states for your computer)
    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    (List devices that can wake up your computer)
    powercfg -devicedisablewake "exact name of device"
    powercfg -deviceenablewake "exact name of device"

(disable and re-enable listed device: Respectively)

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Just Plain Fred (2011-07-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have somewhat of a similar problem. HP Computer and monitor, Windows 7 64 bit. I have the monitor set to turn off in 15 minutes, however it does not really turn off the monitor. The screen goes dark but the monitor is still on. Actually you can see some overall light on the dark screen which shows when the room is dark. However the power light stays on. I have reset the Power Options to Balanced and set to factory defaults - still does the same thing.

Any ideas?