Thread: Winrar

New Lounger
    Thanks

Red face Winrar

I am embarassed to ask this. I have two Winrar files. The first file continues on to the second. When I tried extraction from the first file, I am asked to insert a CD disc. So I put both Winrar files in a folder and tried extraction. I got the same message. Can you help? Many Thanks!!

Thanks
    I assume you are extracting from a right-click menu? I haven't used WinRAR, but some Unzip programs may detect that an archive contains a setup program and assume that you want to run it immediately. If you open the archive in WinRAR and then extract from there, does that make any difference?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for response. But no I open up winrar and try to extract the file that is in there
    and when it does the extraction it asks for a cd to be inserted to complete the extraction

Thanks
    Archives can be created retaining the original paths. If you click through the file structure, are there references to the drive letter that would be your CD drive? I think (!!) you should be able to extract to another location, but I've never used WinRAR.

Thanks
    WinRAR knowledge base and contact info here:

http://www.win-rar.com/knowledgebase.html

(What happens when you put a CD in?)
    Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    HP G72-227wm - Windows 7 Professional x64 (SP1)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Normally if you download (or you yourself split a zip file) whatever program you use, winRar, WinZip, etc, normally assigns numbers at the end of each zip to differentiate them. Then to open them you simple put them all in the same directory and then open the first one and the others should follow inline. In your case do your two files have something like xxx.000 and xxx.001 or something like that? It sounds like you don't have this. What do these files look like? Does it have the little colored books symbol and with a title followed by .rar? Does it have a different extension than .rar? You can zip files and put them on a cd, it sounds like this is what happened. Now that you want to open the rar file its asking for the cd because thats where it is.