New Lounger
    Thanks

Q: No-reformat, nondestructive reinstall by F. Langa

I am considering the nondestructive reinstall recommended by Fred Langa in the 7/14 newsletter. The reason is to follow the recent advice of Woody Leonhard for using MS Security Essentials instead of other products. I would like to get rid of another antivirus and firewall product which gets worse with every so called upgrade. The last time I tried to uninstall it, it ended with a blue screen of death. After a reboot, it was still there, and I had no network connectivity. Diagnostics said I needed a new driver for the network card. I ended up doing a restore to get back to operational status.

Suppose I uninstall SP1 as described by Fred Langa, then try again to uninstall the antivirus product (Vipre). If it crashes again, what are the possibilities that the nondestructive reinstall would allow me to eradicate Vipre?

Anybody have alternative ideas on eliminating an anitvirus and firewall product - short of a clean reinstall?

JRG

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The nondestructive reinstall won't remove Vipre, so no advantages there.
    Have you considering calling Sunbelt Software's support? They are US based and have a good reputation. I'd probably try that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

jrgrisham (2011-07-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have filled a complaint. We have had several interchanges. Sunbelt wants permission to login remotely and fix what ever ails my system. I do not like that idea at all. But worse, every time they have an upgrade, the end result is a slower system. After the last "upgrade" things really went sour. Printing to the Adobe Acrobat pdf pseudo printer now takes 20-30 seconds to print files that used to print in a second. Sometimes (unpredictable) dragging a file from the desktop to a local folder in Windows Explorer can take a minute. Ditto for renaming a file in Windows Explorer. Email protection must be turned off for POP email services. Even the deep scan of the system which I used to run overnight (for years) now will not work. Sometimes it simply fails; other times the next morning the system is unusable without a reboot. Sometimes double clicking a *.docx file in Windows Explorer works, other times MS Word fails. Appearances there are that Vipre is interfering with the loading of the Math Equation Editor add-in (the full blown version, not the freebee that comes standard with Word).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It would be better to use Factory Restore instead if your manufacturer provided a hidden Factory Image on the hard drive. That would reformat the drive and install your original factory settings--including reinstalling the Factory Image. You would need to reinstall all the critical updates and your personal files and programs. Windows Help has more info if you look up Advanced Recovery.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mlg63 View Post
    It would be better to use Factory Restore instead if your manufacturer provided a hidden Factory Image on the hard drive. That would reformat the drive and install your original factory settings--including reinstalling the Factory Image. You would need to reinstall all the critical updates and your personal files and programs. Windows Help has more info if you look up Advanced Recovery.
    I agree with this. It's a pain, but the best use of time is to start from scratch and do everything right from here on out. Two pieces of advice:
    1) Store *all* your important files (music, photos, other files) on a separate partition.
    2) Acquire good drive imaging software like Acronis TrueImage Home and make C: drive images to another partition or drive. Money well spent.
    Good luck.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Macrium Reflect also is a good imaging program.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrgrisham View Post
    I have filled a complaint. We have had several interchanges. Sunbelt wants permission to login remotely and fix what ever ails my system. I do not like that idea at all. But worse, every time they have an upgrade, the end result is a slower system. After the last "upgrade" things really went sour. Printing to the Adobe Acrobat pdf pseudo printer now takes 20-30 seconds to print files that used to print in a second. Sometimes (unpredictable) dragging a file from the desktop to a local folder in Windows Explorer can take a minute. Ditto for renaming a file in Windows Explorer. Email protection must be turned off for POP email services. Even the deep scan of the system which I used to run overnight (for years) now will not work. Sometimes it simply fails; other times the next morning the system is unusable without a reboot. Sometimes double clicking a *.docx file in Windows Explorer works, other times MS Word fails. Appearances there are that Vipre is interfering with the loading of the Math Equation Editor add-in (the full blown version, not the freebee that comes standard with Word).
    I have had good luck with letting Sunbelt access a system. Their support people are generally very competent and helpful. As long as you stick with a problem and supply information they request, they stick with you to resolve it.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Will this putting window's 7 on top of windows 7 slow computer down like it did in Vista?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My boot time decreased CONSIDERABLY.

Zig