2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Add nonbreaking hyphen words to dictionary?

I can't believe this hasn't come up before for me, but I guess it hasn't. I have a document in which our medical writer has used lots of words with nonbreaking hyphens (long-term, double-blind, etc.) (and there are MANY instances of each one throughout). These words are being flagged by spell check as misspellings, but I can't add them or do an ignore all . I've even tried editing the word list, but that interface immediately strips the hyphens out.

Is there a way to add these words to the dictionary, or does anyone have a work-around?

Thanks in advance,

Beej

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What word-processing program? I just filled part of a page in Word 2003 with breaking and non-breaking hyphenated words. Spellcheck doesn't flag anything.

As a former technical writer and editor, I fail to see why words like long-term and double-blind need to be designated non-breaking by your medical writer. Some special situation?

Using Word 2007? See this link. http://www.techtalkz.com/ms-office-h...g-hyphens.html
    Last edited by Owen Glendower; 2011-07-15 at 15:39. Reason: add info

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This seems to be a know issue. For what it's worth, see the following forum posts, one of which is from this forum. Hope this helps...some.

Post 1

Post 2