Lounger
    Thanks

Xp hangs after inactivity

Mike:

I have been seeing this behavior cropping up at many of my clients' XP PCs over the past several weeks as well. Seems random, but once a PC is impacted, that same PC will continue to act up. Another common symptom: logging off, restarting or shutting down -- PC hangs at "Saving your settings..." screen.

Does anyone know of the cause for this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    IIRC, hangs on "Saving you settings" were often resolved by installing User Profile Hive Cleanup Service.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

UserProfileHive Cleanup Service

I've used this utility quite a lot over the past several years to speed up the logoff/restart/shutdown process and it works very effectively, especially if one uses the latest version (earlier versions BSOD'd occasionally). But this round of "saving your settings..." problems is unaffected by this utility. All PCs affected have received ALL WindowsUpdates, are all XP SP3, have been scanned (& found to be clean) with Malwarebytes/GFI's Vipre, all have perimeter SonicWALL hardware firewalls, and most are in business AD domains. The problem does not lend itself to being repeatable other than randomly or after a significant period of inactivity.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RSMComputer View Post
    I've used this utility quite a lot over the past several years to speed up the logoff/restart/shutdown process and it works very effectively, especially if one uses the latest version (earlier versions BSOD'd occasionally). But this round of "saving your settings..." problems is unaffected by this utility. All PCs affected have received ALL WindowsUpdates, are all XP SP3, have been scanned (& found to be clean) with Malwarebytes/GFI's Vipre, all have perimeter SonicWALL hardware firewalls, and most are in business AD domains. The problem does not lend itself to being repeatable other than randomly or after a significant period of inactivity.
    Does the significant period of inactivity include sleep or hibernation? Could it be that some peripheral has been powered down?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Scope of problem

We have to look at the facts to come to the right conclusion about this issue: it is affecting a growing number of PCs, starting several weeks ago and increasing rapidly (in my world alone). If this were a one-PC issue, I could be looking at and considering seriously a hardware-related problem source. Instead, I believe what we are seeing is OS or other software-component that has recently changed (updated, replaced, etc.). The common factors that have been identified are 1) Windows XP, 2) some undetermined pause in user activity initializes or contributes to symptoms and 3) secondary symptoms of logoff hang in every case.

Consider, perhaps, all of MS's patches pushed out over WindowsUpdate over the past few weeks. Are any of these related to ACPI, screensaver action, sleep mode (all of the PCs I know experiencing this issue have hibernation disabled) or some other subsystem that kicks in when inactivity is present? Were there any Flash, Java, or TCP/IP stack updates that may be involved?

Joe, I'm not attempting to devalue your suggestions. Instead, I am hoping we begin to reign in the focus to start heading down the proper trail.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I've moved this to its own thread as it seems to be a different issue.

It could be related to a patch and not necessarily a Windows patch. Since it happens only randomly it is going to be difficult to tack down. I have no idea what changes have been made to the systems. You have to determine that.

All I can say is that we have a few XP machines left and all of them have had all Windows patches applied, are current on Java and Flash, and have not observed any of these issues.

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

RSMComputer (2011-07-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, the "first" PC that started exhibiting this mysterious behavior is now fixed. An old nemesis, namely corrupt sound files, combined with a real weird driver update solved part of it. Just clicking thru the "punch list" of possible causes led to turning off Windows System sounds and updating a RAID driver eliminated the "Saving your settings..." hang. Turning off the screensaver apparently (couldn't replicate so I can't say for sure) killed the "hangs after indetermined period of inactivity" problem.

Now, on to the next PC...!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well, good luck. The simplest things that cause Windows issues are very strange. Post back with more symptoms or resolutions.

Glad you got one resolved.

Joe