2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

EULA and Windows XP retail version question

A friend of ours has an old PC that's in need of a new Windows install. I haven't seen the PC yet to see what the real issues are, but from he tells me on the phone, his browser's been hijacked and the system is infected with stuff.

I told him to get a Win 7 PC, they're so inexpensive particularly given his needs, but he wants us to try and fix it.

I may have to swipe the PC clean and reformat or maybe use his recovery partition if there is one(he doesn't know), but I have a question about re-using a Windows XP disk.

I have a full, retail version of Win XP Pro that is no longer in use because the laptops and desktops in this house all have Win7. Is is legal to just give the guy my copy of Win XP that's just sitting there on my shelf doing nothing? Will the product key on the disk I have work with his PC? I've tried to remember all the ins and outs of the EULA with XP, but am having a tough time trying to figure this out.

I'm hoping the guy can come up with the original disk that came with his PC, but I doubt he even knows what it looks like.....and, I know I'm going to regret this

Diane

Thanks
    The version you have should work, but you may have to contact MS to activate it. Also what version of XP Pro (i.e. SP1, SP2, SP3) I'm not sure if all the updates will still be available for whatever version either he has or you have. If your or his disk is an original XP prior to SP2 I think you may be unable to get the updates.

XP SP2 XPSP2.jpg

XP SP3
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

PeachesP (2011-07-16)

Thanks
    As long as your copy of Windows XP Pro is not in use (ie installed and running on some other setup) you should have no difficulty in giving it away to your friend.
    Your friend could then clean install with the disk you gave him and enter it's activation code without issue. If he cannot find his setup disk and ends up
    using/keeping the disk you gave him, then he should not use his original activation code.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

PeachesP (2011-07-16)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to Ted & Clint.

I've looked at the box...It is Win XP Professional with SP2. The OS is not in use on other computer. It is the upgrade version. If I need to swipe his drive clean and use this disk, I will install it w/o the product key and then install it again with the product key as I am familiar with this procedure.

I do hope however, he is able to find his own Windows disk....Thanks for your help.

Diane