Administrator
    Thanks

Mozilla abandons enterprise customers

See Ed Bott - Mozilla to enterprise "Drop Dead". While the article is geared towards the enterprise customer I think it should at least give all users pause. Mozilla's stated position is that support for the prior version ceases when the new version is released. While this certainly reduces support requirements dramatically, I'd be very nervous about installing a new major release of any product every 6 weeks. Does this mean that Mozilla is effectively going ignore issues in all releases because the next one is coming so fast? Suppose you don't have any way to revert to the old version because you used the integrated update mechanism. What happens the first time there is a major show issue with a new release?

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    All pertinent questions. I guess the Google chase causes this. It's a bit ridiculous and it will cost them some users.

Thanks
    I don't know what the future holds for Mozilla, but once they started using the term "awesomeness" on their home page, I think it was clear that "Enterprise" was no longer the primary audience.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous to move to a whole number version change every six weeks. This may be what Google is doing, but it doesn't mesh with long time users' expectations and probably is creating more alarm than necessary.

Version 4 was a major release. Version 5 is more like "things we wanted in 4 but weren't done by code freeze." My quick reading of the support board traffic is that Firefox 5 questions mostly relate to (1) changes that were already in version 4, and (2) add-on compatibility issues.

While the term "Enterprise" is ambiguous, I think it should be understood to refer to environments with tight control of desktops and largely homogeneous software ecosystems. Their IT departments will have to decide whether to accept these whole number updates -- on the theory that security comes first and if something breaks, well, Firefox is secondary to IE so use IE -- or continue to try to manage them for functionality, which is going to be very challenging.

I know IE departments feel under siege from new platforms (iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, WebOS...) and competitive browsers (Chrome, Safari, Opera), so this extra headache will be unwelcome.

The good news is that Firefox is open source, so if someone who deeply understands the code wants to build a corporate version, they can. (I don't see any money in it, but maybe someone does.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    My V3 still updates with security fixes, so it's not all bad. Besides, enterprise customers are probably still on IE 6 or 7 and we now have 9.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    This blog post shows that cooler heads may prevail, but not right away:

"We are exploring solutions that balance these needs, with active discussion in our community. Open Source software is well-suited to these challenges, as interested parties can come together to build what is needed."

Firefox in the Enterprise | The Mozilla Blog

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm surprised that Mozilla doesn't do what Ubuntu does. Ubuntu comes out with a new release every 6 months, and soon after it drops support for the prior release. Except that every two years (spring of even-numbered years) it does a Long Term Support (LTS) release. The LTS is support for many years (4?). I still run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS at work ando n my laptop, though I have the latest 11.04 running within VirtualBox on various systems.

If Mozilla had an LTS-type release plan then they could satisfy enterprise customers.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Firefox update policy: the enterprise is wrong, not Mozilla
    http://arstechnica.com/business/news...ot-mozilla.ars

EDIT: Mozilla definitely has confused enterprise users but didn't really abandon them.
    Last edited by np-7930; 2011-07-18 at 12:23.