Thread: Boot issue

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Boot issue

One of the computers I maintain at work will not boot past the "Welcome" screen. It had a wireless keyboard and mouse. Oh, Compaq Pentium 4 1GB RAM 300GB HDD. (it is the oldest machine here) So the wireless keyboard did not make the setup or boot menu respond so I plugged in a USB keyboard. I was able to get to Setup where the keyboard worked okay, set the boot order to CD/DVD in all four places, and hit F10 to save and exit. PC went to the "Press any key to boot from CD" keyboard not recognized, no response, boot from HDD. Shut down restarted, hit ESC for Boot menu. Got the menu, keyboard would not respond had to shut down and restart again, I could not get to Safe Mode because again, the keyboard will not respond. I tried different USB keyboards, different USB ports, all the same. I'm at my wit's end. I'm about ready to call it dead and replace it but I thought I would just post this here to see if anyone had an idea that I didn't already have.

Thanks all!
    Joel

Thanks
    Is this PC old enough to have a PS-2 input for keyboard? If so, you can use a PS-2 to USB adapter and get the keyboard to work that way.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks BB but no, it does not. I was hoping for that, but no joy. Any other ideas? Anybody? If I cannot figure this out this morning, I will have to go buy a new PC for this person. We are far too busy to go another day one computer short!
    Thanks
    Joel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried turning the PC completely off?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Several times, both restart and shut down from the BIOS setup screen and several more using the power button. I think I give up. For $500 I can buy a new box, and pull the drive, use the USB/SATA adapter to pull what I can, then tinker with it with the case open. I don't know, new hard drive, check the MOBO, and RAM. I just can't wait anymore. But if anyone has something else, it will be at least another day before I get to buy new.

Thanks Joe!
    Joel

Thanks
    You probably have but I'll ask anyway; have you tried all of your USB ports?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes indeed. I guess it's over for this machine. Tomorrow morning I'll be going to buy a new one, then I'll clear off the drive and tinker with it with the case open. At worst I'll have some extra parts, and at best I'll make another PC from that one and whatever else I have laying around. Thanks ever so much people. This IS by far the best place to go with a question, a concern, or just to read, learn, and try to help someone else! Been a member for YEARS now.

Thanks again,
    Joel

Thanks
    Just a thought...

Is there an option within the BIOS to enable/disable USB legacy support?

If so, I would try flipping the current setting and see if that works.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope, no "boot from USB option either. We can close this thread now. The box was old enough that it just didn't pay to keep playing with it, picked up a new i5 box with 4GB RAM and 1TB hdd for under $500. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner! (Yes, I do. I need approval to spend the $500) Anyway, all's well that ends well, and this one is over. I will take it home and keep at it just because I hate to give up. If I figure it out I will post back. Thanks again to all who offered an opinion!
    Joel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    May I add for the benefit of future readers:
    I too have old PCs not able to respond to USB devices, including USB wireless keyboard. It can only respond to PS2-connected keyboard/mouse before Windows is up and running.
    For USB devices, especially wireless type (don't know why), only after Windows boots to its screen that these USB devices are responsive. During the boot process, or before Windows kicks in, USB devices are powerless.

How to boot to Safe Mode if the F8 button is not effective from an USB keyboard on an old PC, and you do not have, refusing to, connect a PS2 keyboard?
    1. Boot normally to normal Windows. Start button-'Run ...',
    2. Type 'msconfig' then 'return' key. A popup shows.
    2. Go to the tab 'boot.ini'. Select (check the box) /SafeMode
    3. Apply/Save then exit.
    4. Power down and reboot. You will be in SafeMode.
    5. After finishing your work in SafeMode, again invoke 'Run ...' msconfig
    6. Go to Boot.ini tab and uncheck SafeMode.
    7. Apply/Save and exit. Power down and reboot.
    8. You are back to normal Windows.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to scaisson For This Useful Post:

Just Plain Fred (2011-07-21)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wink "Taps" for Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by joela44 View Post
    The box was old enough that it just didn't pay to keep playing with it, picked up a new i5 box with 4GB RAM and 1TB hdd for under $500. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner! (Yes, I do. I need approval to spend the $500) Anyway, all's well that ends well, and this one is over.
    And, of course, this was always the right answer. Any Pentium 4 still hanging around didn't need to be in use for mission-critical work. Congratulations on being given approval for the mercy killing!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks to Bethel! For scaisson, I did know all that, however, my initial problem was not being able to boot at ALL, I could get to the Log in screen, click the user name, (any one, including built in admin), and get to "Welcome" and NO further. So it truly was a "mercy killing" Thanks again to all!
    Joel