5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Small SSD for pagefile speedup only??

I have a fast Win7 system (64 bit, 8Gb RAM) with plenty of HD space. I was wondering however if I could install a small and fast SSD drive just to act as location for the pagefile and temporary files. The pagefile is used all the time and if I make access (much) faster by using an SSD for that, my idea is that this could make Windows even more responsive... So an SSD of maybe 16Gb max but very fast (could be a relatively cheap add-on). Would that make a significant impact??

Thanks
    From what I've read, and from my personal experience, moving the page file to a separate partition did not actually help or hinder anything. I did not notice any change (either increase or decrease) is accessing the page file. I have also read (no personal experience) that only the OS and apps should be loaded onto SSD drives. I suspect you will not see much change in page file access with your proposed method.

In doing a little research on this subject (just a little, it's too early for heavy research) all I find suggests putting OS on SSD and leaving page file with OS, not separating it. This appears to be the prevailing wisdom.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-07-17 at 08:31.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I would suggest that you monitor pagefile usage for a day or two before such a move.

With 8GB RAM, your pagefile is only being used to page out the parts of the kernel used for booting Windows (which is their only real use). Other than that, your pagefile is seeing very little activity.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    It would seem like a gross waste of an SSD to use it soly as a pagefile drive. But the 16 GB drive you have is perhaps too small for a Windows 7 operating system
    without serious modification.

I don't think you would have anything to loose by trying it, but your 8 GB of RAM should cover you in most instances.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, thanks all. I don't actually have an SSD yet; and I did some similar searches where I generally found no real recommendations to do this. Just wanted to find out if that belief was supported by others. I'll leave things as they are. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikJan View Post
    The pagefile is used all the time...
    Your statement is broadly correct, in that it is 'used', but you really need to investigate the amount of paging data that needs to be transferred per second! With 8 GB of memory, that should be very little, unless you are using a number of highly-memory-intensive programs at the same time. Here Task Manager's Performance tab is your friend, in conjunction with its Resource Monitor feature. Lots of fun there, playing with paging file options... I suspect that you will find that there is comparatively little[page file activity, except at program startup, where it is expected.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...