New Lounger
    Thanks

How to change icon for pinned websites

This one has me stumped. I have sucessfully pinned IE9 websites to my Win7 taskbar, however, some sites do not have favicons so the icon is the standard IE icon. I now have 4 IE icons, all the same, which I would like to change individually with some other icon. Previously, you could simply right-click, select properties and change the icon. Now, after SP1 and IE9, that option is no longer available. Anyone have a solution? I'm not able/knowledgeable enough to use CMD and attempt to change the file extension, I tried but using <assoc> to change from .website to .url returned an access denied message. Hope someone can help me ... thanks.

Thanks
    Donald,

If you change the name of the shortcut {on the General tab} it will then provide you with the Change Icon button.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. You can change the name of the file but not the extension. When a pinned icon has the .website extension rather than the .url extension it does not provide the change icon option.

Thanks
    Donald,

Ok, so you created your shortcut by dragging and dropping and that method does not allow you to change the icon.
    Solution: Copy the URL from the browser, right click on the empty desktop, select new, shortcut. Paste URL into box, give it a name and Finish. Right click select properties and change icon. Then drag to taskbar. If you have more than one when you right click on the IE icon they will be shown at top of list.

Sorry but that's the best I can do.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Retired Geek ... I sincerely appreciate your trying to help. Your solution only allows you to pin the url shortcut to IE on the taskbar. It doesn't allow a seperate icon on the taskbar which is what I want. I have to look up DOS commands, open CMD, change the file extension from .website to .url then change the icon then change the file extension back to .website ... at least I've been told that is a work-around. This was simple before SP1 and the latest changes to IE9 ... sometimes progress isn't always that great.

Again, thanks for offering to help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Different approach

I've have had several of my students ask for a similar fix. This is a different approach which I found works great, at least for me.
    Make all four or as many specific web sites as you like your home page(s). Then you open IE from the task bar and select which site you want from the tabs which are all open.

Administrator
    Thanks