Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't get chapter number to show with page number

I've got something in a Word 2003 template file that I can't figure out. The same thing has worked for me forever and a day, which means there's probably some kind of corruption in the file. I'm hoping someone has another suggestion to try.

I am using the Shauna Kelly scheme for Appendix headers, where Heading 7 - 9 are hijacked for use as 3 levels of appendix headings, with the appendices lettered. If you're not familiar with it, it's here: http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...numbering.html with more here:
    http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html

The heading numbering works fine, as it always has for me. But when I try to include the chapter number in the page numbers, nothing shows up. No heading number, no dash, just the lone page number.

Has anyone seen this, and is there something I can do to fix it? I tried choosing things other than Heading 7 as the chapter start style, and no dice. I made sure that the heading outline numbers were properly defined in the definition box. I tried letting it sit overnight.

I can fake it up with a Styleref field, but that should not be necessary.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jessica

Thanks
    You've tried the things I would have and my suggestion was going to be a Styleref field. Sorry.

Charles Kenyon

Thanks
    Try recreating the document from a new document. This will mean copying section by section without the final paragraph mark from each section, recreating your headers and footers (or copying without the final paragraph mark), setting margins, etc. Not fun but if important for long-term use probably worth doing.

You may want to look at http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...corruption.htm and the links therein.

Charles Kenyon
    Madison

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

jweissmn1 (2011-07-20)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - I'll try the section by section copying thing

...but I have my doubts, as this is a template rather than a plain old doc.

And I'll look into the various means to cure corruption.

Styleref will definitely work, but that means giving up on having Word work as promised (no big deal) and on having Word work as it did in the past (a big deal).

- Jessica

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The template started to show evidence of other types of corruption, so I am recreating it carefully.

It will take about five hours, but I'm cleaning up content along the way so it's probably worthwhile. Now if I can get the client to understand the difference between a Word template and a regular Word doc file used as a basis or template for a category of document deliverables, I'll be satisfied.