Lounger
    Thanks

New external HD's not showing up in 'Computer' in Windows 7.

Hello. Hope someone has an easy fix. I'm a new 'Windows 7' user. I just attached two Western Digital 'My Book' (FAT32 format, USB connect) to my computer and they seemed to install ok but they are not showing up in 'Computer' ... so I can not use them. They are however showing up in 'Devices and Printers'. Why won't 'Windows 7' give these guys a drive number so that I can use them?. Thanks much. Gary.

Thanks
    Many external drives come with preloaded software for "One-click" whatever. Sometimes this software can cause some confusion in Windows 7 recognition of the device.

Have you tried plugging in just one drive?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRally View Post
    Why won't 'Windows 7' give these guys a drive number so that I can use them?. Thanks much. Gary.
    Gary,
    Hello... If you go to "Administrative Tools">Computer Management>Disk Management...and Click on it You will see all drives present... If your "My Book's" show ..they probably need for you to assign drive letters.. (Right click on them choose from dropdown) If they are present change the FAT32 to NTFS. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Change the file format to NTFS as used by Win 7. Look up Convert to NTFS in Help for directions.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred, Thanks for the instructions. Unfortunately, these two drives do not show up in "Administrative Tools" > Computer Management > Disk Management". All of my other drives do, but not these two. But, like I said, they are showing in "Devices and Printers". It's baffling.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi bbearren, Tried it one at a time, but no change. The system beeps each time I unplug and plug in because it recognizes them from the first installatiion, but the system will still not assign them a drive letter. Thanks for your help. Gary

Thanks
    Have you checked your USB settings in BIOS?

Also, have you tried a reboot with an external plugged in?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRally View Post
    Hi Fred, Thanks for the instructions. Unfortunately, these two drives do not show up in "Administrative Tools" > Computer Management > Disk Management". All of my other drives do, but not these two. But, like I said, they are showing in "Devices and Printers". It's baffling.
    I DID find them afterall. But both boxes say "Offline: The disk is offline because it has a signature collision with another disk that is online". And, yes, I do have another "My Book" external hard drive that is working. I'm trying to add two more just like it ... the two new ones are 'colliding' with the already established 'Big Guy', and he doesn't apparently like it, I guess. But 'Help' in this section is not providing much 'help'. It says to right click on a drive and assign it a drive letter ... but the only option when I right click is 'Help' ... 'help' is in an infinate loop at this point. :-) But maybe this will give you more clues??. Thanks much for any help.

Lounger
    Thanks
    SUCCESS!! Fred got me pointed in the right direction ("Administrative Tools">Computer Management>Disk Management"). I just didn't know what to do once I got there. But after fooling around, I found that I could click on the actual name in "Devices" not the entire box, just the name (in this case 'Drive 5'), right click that and I had the option to click "online" ... and it worked. And now I have two new drives on my system, 'My Book (H)' and 'My Book (N)'. Hooray, it's always such a relief to 'outfox' a computer. They haven't beaten us yet. Thanks Fred and to everybody else who responded. Gary.

Thanks
    Gary,
    As your numbers of drives/partitions increases, I have found that descriptive names makes it much easier to know where I'm at. You may already do this, but others out there may not. If you open My Computer, right click on the drive/partition you wish to rename and select Properties then enter whatever descriptive name suits your fancy. Very simple.

NameDrives.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Ted. I didn't know one could do that. That will be very helpful, as I now have a total of 5 external hard drives. I do an overnight backup of my work (Photography) and like to alternate the locatiion of my backups ... hoping that I'll have one good one with the 'big one' hits. I'm also backing up almost immediately at "Carbonite". Call me 'paranoid', but I've just put two much work into 10 years of clicking the shutter and a lot of "Photoshop" time. I also back up each months 'new' batch to DVDs. And yes, backups have saved me on more occasions that I care to admit. Thanks again, Ted. Gary.