Lounger
    Thanks

Retracting and expanding text under a heading

Hi all

I have a document that is just over 3 pages long that I would like to reduce down to one page.

The document has 12 different subjects each with its own heading. Under each heading are a number of lines of text.

I thought the way I could possibly reduce it to 3 pages would be to have all the heading on one page and then if additional information was required the reader could click on the heading to reveal the text and by clicking again the text would disappear.
    Does that make sense or am I clutching at straws.

I was thinking maybe a macro of sorts with a button would work but I'm not really all that good with macros.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Dax

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Dax,

There is already something similar built in to Word, by using the Outline view.

Go to View > Outline, and then you can use the 'Show Level' dropdown to control how many levels will display (both onscreen and when printed). For instance, if you change the dropdown setting to 'Level 1', then only Heading 1 text will show.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gary

Thanks for your feedback and I did previously look at Outline as an option but the problem for me is that the document also contains a form which when in Outline changes the way the form looks and would confuse people using it.

I guess I probably should have added some additional detail in regards to my request.

The idea of th document is that I have some instruction (information) on the first page then on the following page would be the form that could be filled out. I thought as I had the information under a number of headings (as the instruction varies depending on the activity that is completed on the following form), I could save having the information over 3 pages by just showing the headings and then depending on what information the user wanted to read they could just select the relevant heading and see the instructions.

If I could get that to work my next step was to have a button on the instructionss page that when pressed the Instructions page would be deleted leaving the user with only the form as their final document.

I hope this makes sense
    Cheers
    Dax

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you use just Heading 1s at the top of each page and turn on the Navigation Pane, then you can swap pages by clicking on the appropriate Heading in the Nav Pane.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Dax,

You'll need to resort to some code in order to do that. One way to do it, using code:

First, put a bookmark around each section of instruction text - named for instance "bmkInstructions1" etc.. Then apply Hidden text font formatting to the instruction text.
    To toggle the visibility of the text, you could then use code like this:
    Code:
       ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("bmkInstructions1").Range.Font.Hidden = _
          Not ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("bmkInstructions1").Range.Font.Hidden
    There might be more involved, depending on whether your form is a protected form or not. Also, which version of Word you're using might dictate how you make the macros available.

Gary

PS: I'll be away for the next couple of days, so won't be able to respond further until late Friday or Saturday.