3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restoring to laptop's new HDD

I have a netbook that I'm planning to put a modest sized SSD drive in, using the removed HDD for backup and any storage (minimal). While Acer has a recovery module that can be used to start anew, I'd like to avoid as much as possible starting from scratch, at least with several paid applications and utilities I've installed (if not with everything). OS is Win 7 64-bit Home Premium. What are the alternatives for restoring from the old HDD? I have Acronis True Image Home 2010 and SyncBack SE on my desktop computer, if they'd be of any use with the laptop. Thanks,

Thanks
    Acronis will do the job niccely. Make an Image of your system from the old HDD, pop in the new SSD HDD and restore the Image (You will initially need to boot from your Acronis disk or Acronis Boot media you create.) I believe this procedure should work fine.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I mentioned Acronis without having checked whether it can be used on more than one PC. Their site seems to indicate that it's a one-computer license. My desire to restore instead of create anew comes not just from wanting to save time, but mostly from not wanting to face that licensing issue with other apps that are on their second or third (legal) install.
    Last edited by highstream; 2011-07-20 at 12:33.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Ted's right on! I've upgraded drives this way many times using Acronis TI w/o a problem.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    The EULA implications are an entirely diffferent matter. I am not a lawyer so I would not hazzard a guess on using your licensed copy of Acronis on your desktop to legally Image your laptop drive. I do know you can use a trial install of an Acronis product for 30 days, and your copy of Acronis will work on a 2nd PC. Whether this is legal or not??? I do not know. Most apps allow uninstalling on one PC and installing on a different PC. Perhaps this is your way out for this issue.

You could consider using the free version of Macrium Reflect for this chore. Since it's free you should be able to legally use it on any and all your PC's.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas. I suppose another way to do this would be to create a partition on the current HDD, remove and put it into an enclosure, hook it to the desktop via USB and run Acronis from there, and then rehook it to the laptop and bring it all back to the new drive.

Another way, I suppose, is putting the SSD drive in the enclosure and cloning to it, then switching drives.
    Last edited by highstream; 2011-07-20 at 17:26.

Thanks
    I am sure there are legal ways of doing this. I do not believe Acronis, or any other software developer, are trying to prevent the home user with a couple of PC's (this quite often is becoming the norm with a desktop and laptop) from using their legally licensed software. They are working very hard on stopping the illegal copying and pirating of their proprietory software. Perhaps a call to Acronis support would be helpful in your case.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You may want to look at the following page: http://kb.acronis.com/content/11997. While I'm not necessarily a stickler for legalities, if there are options that avoid possible problems, then those are preferable.

Thanks
    I did see the table when I was researching an answer for your question. That is also why I mentioned a different app in post # 5, or the fact that you can try the Free Trial from Acronis. Your possibility of installing the HD in an enclosure may be the answer. I did notice that Acronis has a discount to $29.99 on their web site for ATIH 2011. I just today downloaded and installed the latest update for my copy of 2011. Will be creating a new Image once I'm done here. Perhaps this is another avenue to explore.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since the new SSD is going to be much smaller than the current HDD, is there anything I need to know in terms of creating a disk image or cloning? Is cloning possible only to a bigger drive, unless the original is partitioned to a smaller size than the target?