New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Securities Essentials needed if you already have Norton from Comc

In his book Windows 7 for Dummies, Woody says he installs Microsoft Security Essentials on all of his computers. As this is an anti-virus program, should I install it if I already have Norton supplied to me free through my Comcast internet subscription?

Thanks
    jjanthony, Welcome to the forum.

No, you should not use 2 different AV apps. They may conflict with each other. Woody is talking about replacing his AV apps with MSE.

Edit:At times the free apps included by your ISP are not the full version apps, or the security suites available for purchase. You may want to check with Comcast to see if this is the case. If your free security app (Norton) is just the AV component, you might want to consider another app that is more full featured.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-07-20 at 16:26. Reason: added content
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    No, you should not use 2 different AV apps. They may conflict with each other. Woody is talking about replacing his AV apps with MSE.
    Ted,

I think you missed an important word in your post? Two different ACTIVE scanning apps. Since I know you you use the free version of Malwarebytes as a secondary AV app. I also know the omission was accidental.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    From my perspective I should have made mention that since MSE includes both an AV (antivirus) and AM (antimalware) component, a 2nd AV app or AM app should not be used in real time (running in the back ground). Many of todays AV suites also include AM protection so that a second app is not needed to be running in the background. I do use both MalwareBytes Antimalware and Spybot Search and Destroy for manually scanning on a regular basis, but both these apps are manual scanning only and do not run in the background (real time).

Thanks for correcting my inadvertant omission. I was somewhat tired and took a short nap right after posting. That's what happens at our age when our brain cell gets tired from all the activity.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    That's what happens at our age when our brain cell gets tired from all the activity.
    Ted,

Amen!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    From my perspective I should have made mention that since MSE includes both an AV (antivirus) and AM (antimalware) component, a 2nd AV app or AM app should not be used in real time (running in the back ground). Many of today's AV suites also include AM protection so that a second app is not needed to be running in the background. I do use both MalwareBytes Antimalware and Spybot Search and Destroy for manually scanning on a regular basis, but both these apps are manual scanning only and do not run in the background (real time).
    This is a year later, but the topic relates to my question so am posting it here and hoping you guys are still checking it. If I should start a new thread instead, just let me know ...

We activated Norton Internet Security on our new Windows 7 Home Premium laptop after the trial last year. It is now due for renewal, but I'd like to replace it with what I use on our main PC (same OS) which is what you use, Ted. This would save some dollars and get both systems running the same protection software.

Can I do this and get all of Norton's files off the laptop so there are no conflicts?

My husband feels it's easier just to stick with what we have (Norton) since it's working, but I favor Loungers' usual advice to not pay when equally good programs are available free!

Thanks for your suggestions, as always.

Linda

Thanks
    Linda,

Uninstalling Norton can be a bear but can be done and I would recommend it. I'm sure you'll notice a slight increase in performance when you get Norton's fingers out of every corner of your system. Here's the needed tool. Been using MSE on 4 different machines for 3 years now w/o a problem.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, RG. They did come back to us (via India) to let us know they would honor last year's price, but I'm going to go with your advice (and my gut - thanks to this Lounge). Don't want to have to go through this every year at renewal time! Appreciate the tool and will get at the task over the weekend so all is well before D day, in this case, July 26.

Linda

P.S. Can tell how old-fashioned I am: feel guilty cutting Norton loose when they did acquiesce to my request to honor last year's price!! Sheesh.

Thanks
    It's not old-fashioned to be sensitive...!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks!

Linda