5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Making Microsoft Word 2010 easier to use

BEST PRACTICES

Making Microsoft Word 2010 easier to use

By Lincoln Spector

I liked Microsoft Office 2010 when I first tried it out last year, but it didn't seem like a huge improvement over the previous version.

I was wrong especially about Word, the Office application I use the most.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/best-practices/making-microsoft-word-2010-easier-to-use/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2011-07-20 at 14:37.

Thanks
    Did Word 2007 (and 2010) eliminate the [View] Document Map? It's an outline in the left pane with the document in the right pane; the outline view you wanted - you don't have to collapse the outline and lose your place to see the structure. Click on a heading and there you are in the document...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been looking for a feature I still use in WordPerfect - QuickMark. That's a bookmark that you don't have to name. It's perfect Just to save your place in a document while you go elsewhere in that document to check something. Click on a Set Quickmark button to set it and when you're ready to return there, click on the Find Quickmark button. Fast, easy ... perfect.

Where can I find that feature in Word 2010?
    Bill Treloar
    Rank Magic Blog

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    rodsmine - you need to read the article again - the Navigation pane is excellent
    btreloar - try inserting eg, zzz at your place, then write a macro to find zzz, move around the document, then run the macro and press delete to get rid of your temporary bookmark - easy

But while I am here I should thank Lincoln for an excellent article - brilliant - you deserve far more than a score of 3.8. With your article to tidy up the ribbon, the use of the quick access toolbar, 2003 speedkeys and W2010's clever ability to bring in your 2003 macros, I may even get to quite like 2010. But imho it is still not as good overall as 2003, though some features such as the navigation pane and use of xml are big steps forward. After using it for 3 months, I am still not as quick as I was in 2003. It seems to be word processing for dummies - for those of us who use templates and macros, it is a big waste of time. Why Mr Gates would take a fine program and stuff it up amazes me.

And another serious gripe - I have tried using Word 2010's help system and about 8 times out of 10 I have failed to find what I needed. So now I always look it up in the net and can find the answer with eg, Superuser in a fraction of the time it takes in Word. Who are the idiots who write the Help texts - they should all be fired immediately.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2010 is NOT better than 2007

I am frustrated that options that were available in Office 2007 have been removed in 2010. For example I use a tablet PC and like to write on MS PowerPoint slides during my presentation. In previous versions once I selected a pen I could write on all slides. Now the minute I advance the slide I have to reselect the pen. There are freeware apps to fix this (pointer keeper I think) but why would MS do this? Also for some reason office 2010 does not advance slides smoothly all the time. I have tried two different installations on two computers and always had the problem of slide lag on some slides. No problem with the same presentation on the same PC when I downgraded to 2007. It seems that this has happened a number of times over the years that a new program is worse than the old one. Outlook 2010 looks better than 2007 but the powerpoint problems make it not worth it.