5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Digging deeper into Win7-XP networking

LANGALIST PLUS

By Fred Langa

Win7's "Network Level Authentication" is built in and enabled by default, but in XP it's an add-on you have to specifically install and enable.

And that's just one of several major obstacles that can impede smooth networking between these two Windows versions.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/digging-deeper-into-win7-xp-networking/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post

LANGALIST PLUS

By Fred Langa

Win7's "Network Level Authentication" is built in and enabled by default, but in XP it's an add-on you have to specifically install and enable.

And that's just one of several major obstacles that can impede smooth networking between these two Windows versions.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/digging-deeper-into-win7-xp-networking/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Add in not compatible with firefox version 5

Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox plugin Nevercookie

I guess I'm one of a cast of thousands but I get the message from Firefox that Nevercookie is not compatible with the latest Firefox 5

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're at least 2. Same thing happened to me.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

NeverCookies

Re: NeverCookies
    The addon is not compatible with Firefox 5.
    I use the addon Click&Clean. It erases EverCookies after Firefox is completely closed, (or you can set it differently in its option).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Firefox plugin Nevercookie combats ‘evercookies’

The idea of blocking Evercookies (or any ads or scripts) instead of simply cleaning the cache locations is obsolete. ClickNClean for Chrome and IE, and Better Privacy for Firefox all work with current browser versions, and all can show you what you have on your computer, and allow compete, secure deletion of all Evercookies, Supercookies, Flash Cookies, Silverlight cookies, etc. ad nausaeum. And if you really do not want to be tracked while on line, consider the Abine Suite for Firefox and IE, or ChromeBlock (by Abine) for Chrome, as well as the Disconnect family of add-ons for opting out from social media tracking. All are fully compatible with current browser versions. Opt-out add-ons, unlike true Blockers, do not slow or crash browsers or web pages.

The one reason I would still use NoScript for Firefox is its ability to stop Cross-Site Scripting exploits. Due to its better sandboxing and security aspects, Chrome does not have as much of an issue with these exploits, so no such add-on is used in Chrome. IE users are on their own with regard to these exploits.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-07-21 at 13:02.
    -- Bob Primak --

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    IE users are on their own with regard to these exploits.
    Actually, they aren't, if IE 9 is used. IE 9 explicitly protects against coding suspect of allowing cross-site scripting exploits.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI; Nevercookie is not compatible with Firefox 5.0

New Lounger
    Thanks

Nevere Cookie Firefox Plug-in

Like so many others, I too got the "incompatible" notice when I tried to install this plug-in.

Fred, I spoken about this before.....Your failure to check out certain things before you write a column about it and tell people it can be downloaded and installed. It's like you're pulling stuff out of thin air without any thought that updates have taken place and apps may not work together.

Nuff said.
    "2 wrongs do not make a right, but 3 lefts do."

Lounger
    Thanks
    Concerning Tom Linton's problems with networking Win7/XP machines, I brought to your attention several years ago the excellent networking software Network Magic. Since that time it has been acquired by Cisco and unfortunately has not been updated in over a year, BUT it is still a (practically) perfect solution. I have 2 networks on which I use Network Magic and they are both virtually flawless & seamless in operation. One network has pc's using XP Home Premium, Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, and Win 7 Home Premium, all with file & printer sharing and internet access (both wired & wireless) and Network Magic handles it all flawlessly. Same on the other network which has XP Home Premium, Vista Home Premium, & Win 7 Professional. Network Magic can be bought (inexpensively I think) or used free (without file & printer sharing) after the trial period. Considering all the hassles I went through trying to get just 2 XP machines networking using just Windows (and never succeeded), Network Magic is lightyears ahead of Windows. Al Bateman.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Actually, they aren't, if IE 9 is used. IE 9 explicitly protects against coding suspect of allowing cross-site scripting exploits.
    Yes and no. IE9 is getting there, but it still does not do as good a job as Chrome (no plugin needed) or Firefox with NoScript. At least, last I read.
    -- Bob Primak --