New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 9 (Re)Install Failure

I was running IE 9 and grew to like it for its speed. I had to do a reinstall of Windows 7 and followed Fred Langa's suggestion for a non-reformat, nodestructive method (WS, Issue 297).

The reinstall, while slow-6+ hours -did successfully eliminate many issues mainly from a failed, partial install of SP1 and retained my settings and programs with one exception (IE9). I -per FLs suggestion-allowed the reinstall to have full internet access to d/l updates. I thought these would install as part of the process. However, there were 94 or so "important" updates and 5 optional ones. The important ones included SP1 and IE 9. After screening out maybe 5-10 or so from Ms Bradley's list in issue 297, I proceeded with the update installs which took 10+ hours with many reboots.
    About 20 of the "important" updates failed (SP1 did install) and had to be repeated. All installed except IE 9. Not sure if it is the order MS has it running the updates is a problem.

What is strange is the update install history showed several fails on IE9 but one success. However, when I launch IE, it is version 8.
    It does not appear under Control Panel/Programs under installed updates. It does appear as IE9 under the list of Windows feature that can be chose under the same Control Panel setting, but unchecking this, rebooting (more lengthy with messages on changing Windows) does not allow a reinstall of IE9.

I've been "nagged" by the install updates, tried a few more times-(each time the system wants to create a restore point) and tried suggested MS proceedures for problem reinstalls. No go! I downloaded a MS "Fix It" utility aimed at a repair but the recommended milder version didn't work. There is an "aggressive" option which I didn't try.

Are there any suggestions outside of another reinstall of Win 7?

Thanks
    Have you attempted to download the IE9 file from MS and installing from the file rather than from Microsoft Update. Make sure you download the correct version. If your OS is 32 Bit then you need to download the 32 Bit version. If your OS is 64 Bit then you need to download the 64 Bit version (be advised this installs both the 32 Bit and 64 bit version) Most users are using the 32 Bit version since the 64 Bit version is not quite ready for prime time. After installing the 64 Bit version you will see icons for both versions in the All Programs on your Start Orb.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted:
    Thanks for your response. I am running the 32 bit version. I had tried a download from another link which didn't work. That was a 471 KB file. In downloading an identically titled file from the link you noted, I see the file is 17,700 KB, In the hope that the former one uses Windows Update and your link was the entire install file, I tried the larger file. Unfortunately, I get the same error message that the install was not completed and a link to a MS troubeshooting site that I had previously executed. Apparently even the large file is not a complete install which removes any problematic files/registrations from earlier install attempts.

Thanks
    See if any suggestions on this IE9 Trouble Shooting page from MS might help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    See if any suggestions on this IE9 Trouble Shooting page from MS might help.
    Thanks. I tried these as the link comes up when the install fails.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you looked at any log files for details about the error?

Have you checked the Event Logs to see if there is any detail about the error?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Have you looked at any log files for details about the error?

Have you checked the Event Logs to see if there is any detail about the error?

Joe
    Joe:

Attached are some logs from a recent failure. No solutions came from MS when submitted. These may not be complete. logs of IE 9 recent reinstall failure.txt