2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Increment a Number With Decimal Point

My Access 2010 database has a field called "versionno", which tracks the version number of the document. The following code is in the onclick event of a button that will increase the version number by one (if the version number field is empty, it inserts 1.0).

Private Sub plusone_Click()
    If Not IsNull(Me.versionno) Then
    Me.versionno = Me.versionno + 1
    Else
    'If IsNull(Me.versionno) Then
    Me.versionno.Value = "1.0"
    End If
    End Sub

This works fine, but I want the version number to always have a decimal point, followed by a zero (to be consistent with our numbering system elsewhere). The code above will change 1.0 to 2, although I want it displayed as 2.0. The field format is set to 1 decimal place, but it still doesn't add the .0 after the number.

Can I force the .0 to be added programatically, or is there another method of always ensuring that the version number is followed by a .0?

Thanks for your help,

JoeK

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would risk saying that you probably should not be representing that by a single number. Most common representations use an "independent" number for each part of the version number in use. For example, my IE 9 version number is 9.0.8112.16421. This is not representable through a single number. If you just want to keep a major version and a minor version number (as in 1.0, 1.1, etc), use two numbers, one for the major version, another for the minor version. When displaying the version number, you just treat each part as a string, e.g.: versionNumber = majorVersion & "." & minorVersion.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. In this database I'm only tracking released versions, so there is no need for a minor version number. That being so, I realize that I don't actually NEED the .0, but it just looks better on reports and whatnot.

In any case, my intellectual curiosity about how to achieve this is piqued :-)

Thanks,

JoeK

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    To do what you want, you can simply use the FormatNumber function. For example, FormatNumber(2,1) will display 2.0. FormatNumber(1,2) will display 1.00. The function can use other parameters, but Access will help you with that, as you build the statement using the function.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Presumably the version is a number field in a table.

Set the format property of the field to 0.0 and it will always display a decimal point.

formatnumber.gif
    I tend to do what you do. I treat the decimal point version of the number as a minor version and the whole number as a major version.

So I might go 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 then 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 ,2.3 then 3.0 etc. But I can understand why more major projects might well need a more elaborate system.
    Regards
    John