New Lounger
    Thanks

Cutting size of Windows 7

I am running Windows 7 in a 40GB partition on a SSD. Windows 7 itself (all user files had to be moved to an external drive) has grown coninuously so that it is now taking over 38GB of space and showing little remaining available space.

TRIM is supposedly installed and working to clean out unneeded SSD files but it is obviously not working.

What parts of this ridiculous bloat can be eliminated without destroying Windows 7?

Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SHuntVA View Post
    I am running Windows 7 in a 40GB partition on a SSD. Windows 7 itself (all user files had to be moved to an external drive) has grown continuously so that it is now taking over 38GB of space and showing little remaining available space.

TRIM is supposedly installed and working to clean out unneeded SSD files but it is obviously not working.

What parts of this ridiculous bloat can be eliminated without destroying Windows 7?
    MY answer is not exclusive to Windows 7. Every version of Windows since Windows 95, has been significantly bigger than its predecessor. And the answer as to how to trim off the fat, has not changed either.

My first step is to do a little HD maintenance, on a daily basis, either manually, or with a batch file in the Startup folder.
    The batch file is much easier to run and less likely to be forgotten. That can completely eliminate the build-up of all temp files and other assorted junk.

Then UN-Install all the junk programs, games, trials and demo's that come with a new PC or new install of Windows.
    You can then delete all the unused themes, sound effects and wall-paper, that you don't want or need.
    And all that is without ever getting into the actual OS and mucking it up.
    Shut off Hibernation, so you don't have that huge hiberfil.sys file in your root directory.
    Then if you're really cramped for space, the Pagefile can be moved to a separate (internal) hard drive, although that's not one of my favorite things to do.

A busy windows PC, will gain weight at the rate of several hundred junk files every day. Eliminating those is essential for a Lean, Mean and Clean PC.

You can even, set up a Quick Shutdown batch file, to clean out the day's junk and then shut down the PC.
    The possibilities only stop at the edge of your imagination. Eh?
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Free Temp Cleaner

Have used Temp Cleaner frequently and found it to be safe. Have a look.
    http://download.cnet.com/Temp-File-C...-10628816.html

Thanks
    My current Windows Ultimate OS installation occupies 17.5GB in a 60GB partition. Program Files are all on a separate partition. ProgramData is on a separate partition. Users are on a separate partition.

Set 7 Free has the details. It's for advanced users only.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Download Ccleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds and use it regularly. Be sure to download the Slim version. More on Ccleaner settings can be found on this website.

The hiberfil.sys file is also a large space waster as mentioned earlier. If you do not use Hibernate, shutting it off deletes this file. Mine was over 6 GB and I never used hibernate. Instructions on how to do this can be found by Googling.

System restore points can take up a lot of space. System restore can use up to 15% of your disk space if not managed. Ccleaner can selectively remove restore points from the tools menu. More information on System restore here: http://is.gd/CJEOk1

A registry compactor could easily save you 2 GB or more in space. I use this one from Registry Life: http://www.chemtable.com/RegistryLife.htm Do not use the Registry cleaner part unless you are very experienced in registry cleaning. I always do the registry compact in Safe mode.