New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry After xp reformat, ALL pages load very SLOWLY

Reinstalled xp-sp3 along with all xp updates recently, i know its hard to diagnose computer problems through forums, so i'm providing as many details as i can. I have the same firewall, a few of the same programs, same firefox version, same few addons, different av ( disabled it for a test, no change). Same results in firefox safe mode & using other browsers too. I'm using a d-link adapter in a home network, no changes there either, or to the registry & there is NO MALWARE on here. I have some really good security programs & i surf with sandboxie or returnil. I can't figure why every site or link i click on loads so SLOWLY. Before the reformat, when i had some OS problems, the pages loaded quickly. You would think that after a reformat, its like having a new pc again, that this wouldn't happen. The pc boots up quicker than before, no problems connecting to any site, just very frustrating having to wait anywhere from about 15 to 30 seconds for a page to load. I have enough ram & over 3/4 free space on my hdd available & no other hardware problems. I understand there are different variables that come into play connecting to a site, but this happens on all my bookmarked sites & anything i click on. I've performed a tweak test from "broadband dslreports.com" to test the connection speed & it was working fine. There has to be some setting thats off or something that needs changing. I'm thinking about uninstalling the video adapter & reinstalling it if that might help. Any suggestions, i'm all ears. I know i should be thankful i don't have worse problems on here, but i can't take this much longer. THANX for your time/help.

Thanks
    Hi sm109,

How long has it been since you reinstalled XP with SP3 and all the updates?

Do you happen to have more than one 'active protection' AV/AM running in the background all the time?

Are any of your security programs different than before your reinstall of XP? What are the "really good security" programs you have installed?

Are you connecting to the Internet via wi-fi or Ethernet?

Have you installed up to date Ethernet and/or Wi-fi card drivers since you reinstalled XP, or at least the versions you were using on your previous installation? How about the Chipset Device Drivers for your motherboard?

Was your new installation done with an OEM CD or Rescue Partition on the hard drive that may have a lot of junk vendor software installed?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found out what was causing the slow page loading. Its my firewall, "privatefirewall". I had it on here before the reformat & had no problems with it. I've had it in a "training period" for 7 days to allow it to adjust to my programs and all. When i performed the ping test with a link someone gave me to "Pingtest.net" , on the first try, it wouldn't work. It said that my firewall or av could be blocking it & said to try again later. So i opened up the firewall settings & set it to allow all traffic instead of filter traffic. I also disabled the av & forgot to re-enable it & reset the firewall back to filter traffic. Then i glanced down at the notification tray & noticed the av still disabled & the firewall on green(allow all traffic) instead of yellow(filter all traffic). I re-enabled the av but left the firewall on allow all traffic, clicked on some sites & they loaded pretty quickly. I'm a member of "wilderssecurity.com" which is where i found out about the firewall earlier in the year, and i'll post a msg about this & get some folks who are light yrs ahead of me in computer knowledge to advise me on how to set it up to avoid the slow loading pages. Its definately the firewall. THANX for all your help though.

Thanks
    If the firewall continues to cause any slowdowns, I could recommend Online Armor Firewall. I started with the free edition and was so impressed I bought the Online Armor ++ edition for our 2 laptops.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    THANX for the reply ted. I had OA before privatefirewall, & dumped it because every once in a while when i fired up my pc it couldn't remember the settings & i had to reset it. Got tired of that. Privatefirewall is very light on the resources, i really liked it, installed it earlier in the year after reading about it on wilderssecurity.com. Unfortunately, i had to uninstall it a few days ago because of what i explained in my above post. I sent a support ticket to pfw, and a guy got back to me the next day. Great service, but his suggestion didn't work, he said to get back to him if it didn't. I decided to install comodo firewall instead. Its larger in megabytes, but its working great so far.