Thread: Office 2010 SP1

New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2010 SP1

I usually read in the newsletter whether patches, etc., are safe to install. This morning I was notified by MS that Office SP1 needed to be installed. Anyone hear reasons that it should not be installed?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I had no trouble installing it in two computers.

Thanks
    I have installed SP1 with no ill effects. I would suggest to download the file from MS (this is the 32 Bit download since most have installed the 32 Bit Office 2010), disconnect from the internet, shutdown all apps, including you security apps, then install from the downloaded file. I make this the way I install all large files including Service Packs. Sometimes these running apps can conflict with installations.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for you quick reply.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted. My systems is running the 64 bit mode. Do I understand you correctly in that you are saying that SP1 is written for 32 bit machines but will install and work on those running 64 bit mode?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You can have either 32-bit Office OR 64-bit Office running on a 64-bit Windows OS. There is a 32-bit version of SP-1 and a 64-bit version of SP-1. You need to download and install the version which corresponds to the "bitness" of the Office version you have installed. You can check the "bitness" of Office by opening any Office program then going to File | Help. Look at the about section in the right side.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Office 2010 is available in 32 and 64 bit versions. Windows Update will offer the version that matches the version you have installed. I see no reason for not doing this through Windows Update. I did.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-07-21 at 10:53.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Office 2010 is available in 32 and 64 bit versions. Windows Update will offer the version that matches the version you have installed. I see no reason for not doing this through Windows Update. I did.
    Thanks so much to all you guys who took time to respond to my question. I will install SP1 this afternoon and will make sure it is the 64 bit version. Have a great day.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbutler205 View Post
    Thanks so much to all you guys who took time to respond to my question. I will install SP1 this afternoon and will make sure it is the 64 bit version. Have a great day.
    Most users using Office 2010 use the 32 bit version, even on 64 bit Windows versions (like I do in my desktop). Microsoft itself recommends the 32 bit version over the 64. So be carefull to make sure you are running the 64 bit version, although I suspect (but can't confirm) that trying to install 64 bit SP1 over 32 bit office, or vice-versa, won't be allowed to complete, as service packs usually make sure you have the compatible apps for which the SPs are for.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Most users using Office 2010 use the 32 bit version, even on 64 bit Windows versions (like I do in my desktop). Microsoft itself recommends the 32 bit version over the 64. So be carefull to make sure you are running the 64 bit version, although I suspect (but can't confirm) that trying to install 64 bit SP1 over 32 bit office, or vice-versa, won't be allowed to complete, as service packs usually make sure you have the compatible apps for which the SPs are for.
    You are correct. I tried downloading from MS the 64 bit version and was told it was not compatible, so I downloaded the 32 bit version and all went well.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You are correct in that you can't install a service pack of the incorrect "bitness".

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a problem installing SP1 32 bit. I installed it from Windows Update and it finished with 'Installation failed'. So I installed it again from a direct download from Microsoft and it apparently went fine. Windows download appears to not know about the direct installation because it still lists the last update as the Failed SP1. I suppose that's what I should expect?

Thanks
    If you go to Start Orb, All Programs, Windows Update, then Check for Updates. This may update your notice. Windows Update does not update your notices immediately when you manually download and install an update.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by formula400 View Post
    I had a problem installing SP1 32 bit. I installed it from Windows Update and it finished with 'Installation failed'. So I installed it again from a direct download from Microsoft and it apparently went fine. Windows download appears to not know about the direct installation because it still lists the last update as the Failed SP1. I suppose that's what I should expect?
    I've had the very same problem on one of my Win7 (64-bit) PCs...although on my other two PCs it was a flawless update. I've been going crazy trying to find a solution, but to no avail at present.
    All my Office 2010 installations are 32-bit. I was thinking of uninstalling Office2010, reinstalling and applying SP1...but it just means lost time. Anyone found a solution?
    Douglas McLaurin, M.Sc.
    Pearl Aquaculture
    Sea of Cortez, MX
    www.perlas.com.mx

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthDugal View Post
    I've had the very same problem on one of my Win7 (64-bit) PCs...although on my other two PCs it was a flawless update. I've been going crazy trying to find a solution, but to no avail at present.
    All my Office 2010 installations are 32-bit. I was thinking of uninstalling Office2010, reinstalling and applying SP1...but it just means lost time. Anyone found a solution?
    Why would SP1 that was not installed through Window Update show on the Windows Update installed updates?

Does Office SP1 show in Control Panel -> Programs and Features? What version are your office apps showing (File->Help to check that)?