Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Broke my Desktop Background Slide Show

Playing around, I broke my Desktop Background Slide Show.
    I've been running with separate partitions for Windows and for my Data.
    So, I've been running with all my "user' folders moved over to:
    D:\My_Data including my Pictures folder.

I moved all my data to C:\ including moving all the user folders back to their default locations in C:\Users.

When I noticed the Slide Show was no longer working, I went to Personalize and tried to browse to and choose my Pictures folder. The error message indicates it's looking for the folder in D:\My_Data.

I searched the Registry and found no enrties that seemed applicable.

I searched here and found one Slide Show problem that was resolved with a Power Plan setting. That's not applicable in my case.

BTW, in playing around, and after moving eveything to C:\, I deleted my D:\ partiition, and made one large C:\ partition.

Rather than using an image to get back to before I started playing around, I'd rather use this problem of mine as a learning exercise. So, can anyone help me get my Slide Show back?

Thanks,
    Dick

Thanks
    Hi Dick,
    Once you've got your pictures where you want them:-

Attachment 28621
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for replying Roderunner. When I go there, I have only 1 entry

Dick
    Last edited by Dick-Y; 2011-07-21 at 19:11. Reason: went to Wallpaper first, instead of Wallpapers

Thanks
    Did you move the folders using the same procedure in reverse that you used to move then originally. I suspect the Pictures folder might have been missed. Just physically moving the folder is not enough. You must also change the pointer to the folder. PC World has the procrdure outlined to move the folders. Follow the procedure in reverse.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted; but I've done this "moving around" at least a half-dozen times; and I always do it in reverse as I've done going forward:
    Going back to C:\, when I click on "properties" and then "location", I then chose "restore default". In this case it told me there was no Picture folder in User, offered to create one; and then I clicked "yes" to having it move from point B back to default point A.
    Dick

Thanks
    If it created a folder in the default location, perhaps you can just move the pics themselves from the folder on the D Drive to the newly created folder. The system mave have already set the pointer to the new folder.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Dick, their was a article in one of the recent News Letters, it explained how to restore or replace library folders. If this was done first, you could then move your photos to it and delete the moved one.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Did you try using the settings button to navigate to the pictures folder? Start from the Computer and navigate down that way just in case the "special" Pictures folder got garbled in all the moving around.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe et al:
    I can start from Computer and navigate down to the "special' Pictures folder.
    I'm afraid I may not have told my problem's story clearly, so here's another attempt:
    Once upon a time there were 2 partitions living on the same drive (C and D.)
    The king lived on C; but all the data, including all of subject Dick's "special" folders lived on the D drive, in a place called
    My_Data.
    After reading a proclamation from one of the king's heralds ( Woody), the foolish subject did the following:
    He used the standard procedure to move all the "special" folders to their default places in the kingdom(C:\users\subject's-name). Then he moved the regular, "peasant" data ( the folder called My_Data) over to the king's place (C:\).
    Carrying on in his blissful ignorance, the foolish subject then deleted the D:\ partition; and then extended the kingdom to encompass the whole physical drive, and the king flew his flag (C:\) over all.
    Imagine the foolish subject's chagrin when he tried to show off his personalized slide-show on his desktop.
    The evil king now allows nothing to be shown; saying: "Ha Ha; you should have left well enough alone. Don't believe every herald that comes down the pike with a proclamation. I'm still looking in D:\My_Data for the Picture folder. Too bad!"

Can anyone add a happy ending to this story?
    Dick
    PS,
    Today, Friday, this foolish peasant and his family is heading up to Boston for the week-end, to see the Red Sox.
    He will not be available to dodge slings and arrows 'till Monday.
    Happy week-end to all.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    When you go to change the settings do you get an error?

Are you trying to use a folder other than Pictures?

Joe

Thanks
    Dick, I think you Image. When I create an Image I Image both C drive and D Drive. Thus my compressed Image file includes both drives. To restore, I have to restore each drive Separately. Restore C Drive, then restore D drive. If you also Imaged both C & D drives, you can restore both the C Drive and the D Drive as stated. This way your kingdom would be put back in order with the king and peasants separated. You could then try to move the folders again, et nauseum. This is one reason I always Image all drives at the same time. (You might have to repartition your HD again to get the 2 partition setup back before the restoration begins.)

note: I also back up data to my wife's laptop, so after restoring my D Drive, I can get the latest data backups back. I hope this might give a happy ending to your saga.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-07-22 at 19:45.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To celebrate the Red Sox victories, the peasants took a vote and banished the king to his own separate little kingdom.
    They decided to go back to their own separate place (partition.)
    Happily, they found that without having to do anything to the thing called "personalize" their slide show came back.
    They also vowed that they would stick to their own way of doing things; and not listen to any messages from the king or his heralds.

Thanks
    Hi Dick, my theory is, if its not broke don't fix it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner:
    Yep. I learned that lesson once again (and hopefully will remember it.) I also need to restrain my desire to play around
    and try things. Finally, and no offense to him, I need to remember that just because Woody says something, that doesn't make it so (for everybody.)
    Best,
    Dick

Thanks
    When I reinstalled 7 two weekends ago, the system could not find my wallpaper folder (C:\Users\Rob\Wallpaper), no matter what I did. I finally went to the folder in question, right-clicked one of the images, and selected Set as desktop background. As soon as I did that, the folder showed up in the wallpaper list.
    Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    HP G72-227wm - Windows 7 Professional x64 (SP1)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast