Thread: Add/Remove

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Add/Remove

I posted the following some time back.

If I try to add or remove Windows components by going to Settings/Control Panel/Add,remove programs/WindowsSetup I get into problems. I get an error message from Rundll32.dll that says an error has occurred in the program. Clicking ignore does nothing and clicking close brings up a further message that rundll32.dll has made an illegal action and will be closed down.

The Windows setup window now shows no entries at all and I have to reboot the computer.

I then got this reply from Mike.
    Phil sounds to me like you have a corrupt file. Try going to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information. From the Tools Menu, click on System File Checker, then the Extract Option. Type in rundll32.exe and click start. You will need the Windows cd if the files haven't already been copied to the harddisk. All going well it will restore a clean copy of that file.

My response was:-
    I tried this (twice) but it made no difference. I then decided to try adding and deleting components one at a time. I successfully removed Desktop Themes with no problems, but when I tried to add Greek Multilanguage Support the Copying Files window stopped at Destination C:WindowsFontsTahoma.ttf., and I got the same error messages as before.

Does this mean anything to you?

I have heard nothing further. Can anyone else help?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Add/Remove

Hi
    Are you sure that Tahoma.ttf is in the Fonts folder? Have you tried re-installing it, in case that's where the corruption lies?

Rgds

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it is in the Windows/Fonts folder. In fact, in Windows Explorer it appears twice. Should I delete one instance of it? I would not know where to re-install it from.

ileacy

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q274/4/19.ASP>KB Q274419</A> Error Message with a Damaged Font or if the Mlang.dll File Is Not Registered

may help

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't see this posted in response so I wanted to make sure that you were aware of it.

RUNDLL32 is a part of windows that allows an porgrammer to run a DLL file as an application. What this means is that RUNDLL32 is not at fault, but whatever DLL file it is running. It's not dissimilar from the Windows NT SVCHOST.EXE application, which runs services in much the same fashion.

Unfortunately I can't tell you an easy way to determine what DLL is being run. That is the file that you need to remove/replace.
    -Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil:

Have you tried using System File Checker to check the .dlls. Start/run/ & type sfc & then press enter. Then run it to see if you have any corrupt files. These are files you may need to replace. You might also go to a DOS prompt (not a DOS window) & type the following, pressing enter after each line:

smartdrv.exe
    scanreg /fix /opt

Then let Windows rebuild your registry.

Hope this helps.