Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Hi Roderunner,

I have no problem opening .chm files, but my friend in England does. Please see my earlier posts in this thread. Also when I click on your FW Help.zip link and open it, although the list of contents is shown none of the pages open and on the right of the window it says "Navigation to the website was cancelled".

What I really need help with, for my friend's benefit, is described in post #12.

Regards, Roy
    Sometimes on opening a .chm file, the first page is not displayed but will work on changing to another page.
    To create a pdf I use http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfc...atest/download
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use CHM To PDF Converter, is't a program that easily and fast converts CHM files to PDF.

Thanks
    There are quite a few CHM to PDF Converter apps. Which one are you referring to?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have also been unable to use a downloaded *.chm help file.

NOW I CAN BECAUSE I FIXED IT.

In my case I had to select the file, then right click and select properties;
    I forget the exact results but I saw that the file came from another computer and Windows did not trust it for that reason,
    and there was a box to cancel the protection.

Then it worked with no problem.

Lounger
    Thanks
    There was a known issue opening *.chm files on some systems... It seems to me the fix was to run the following commands (at the "run" line)
    regsvr32 itss
    regsvr32 jscript

Good Luck
    JohnBrown
    Halifax, NS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
    You want Calibre. It converts lots of formats, including CHM to PDF, and a host of other formats including EPUB for e-readers.
    @Doc_Brown: I've tried all kinds of shareware/freeware programs to convert simple CHM (compressed(compiled)/hypertext) to simple PDF. 'ATop' PDF converter converts CHM to PDF 'as is'. No options for font types, page sizes... actually in one word - crap! I almost bought it..
    Finally: I saw your post --> "CALIBRE" !!
    I can't believe it's FREE!!! (w/ option to donate witch, perhaps, I'm going to do soon..) It can convert ANY kind of today used documents to ANY kind...
    Although it wasn't me who posted that question about CHM 2 PDF, but I feel I should thank you.. >-) C-ya!

Thanks
    Hi All,

Being kind of "Old School" I thought that CALIBRE sounded wonderful. I could finally convert those VBA .chm files of Microsoft's into something I could actually read, highlight and take notes on. Well not so fast. the Access VBA 2003 .chm file converted into 5044 pages! Page size in NitroPDF is 3.5x4.6" and most of the sample code is cutoff {runs off the page}. Ok so I delved a little deeper and found that you have to set the output to the default output? Now I only get 3415 pages in letter size and the code no longer runs off the page. The pages do however have a lot of WHITE space do to the pagination algorithms. So this is now readable in NitroPDF but not really printable as a book but will be useful to print individual topics for reference and notations. Of course this is still Beta software, ver 0.9 and only my experience but I thought I'd let you all know.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks

Soling problems with viewing CHM files downloaded from internet

Roy, Alan,

I have had instances where the button to "unblock" was not available, so I had to resort to other methods.
    This is just some background information for anyone interested.

Files downloaded from the Internet get a Zone identifier in Windows (XP and upwards), which makes Windows to not trust them.
    This only happens when such a file is downloaded to a drive/partition formatted with NTFS partition, because NTFS supports something called Alternative Data Streams, ie. two or more streams of data associated with one single file name.
    The stream you want to get rid of is called Zone.Identifier.

The trick to remove such a stream is either:
    - Copy the file to a FAT drive, and then copy it back (FAT does not support Alternative Data Streams), or
    - Use a tool like Sysinternals' streams.exe (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb897440), or Nirsoft's AlternateStreamView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/alterna...a_streams.html) to remove one or more streams from the file.

Here is a sample of retrieving the stream info from the program streams.exe itself (which I downloaded from Microsoft, commands are highlighted in blue) :

Code:
    d:\SysinternalsSuite>streams streams.exe

Streams v1.56 - Enumerate alternate NTFS data streams
    Copyright (C) 1999-2007 Mark Russinovich
    Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

d:\AddPgms\SysinternalsSuite\streams.exe:
       :Zone.Identifier:$DATA       26
    And this displays the contents of the specified stream:

Code:
    d:\SysinternalsSuite>more < streams.exe:Zone.Identifier
    [ZoneTransfer]
    ZoneId=3
    Use the command "streams -d streams.exe" to remove all alternative data streams.
    I have fixed many .chm files that gave me the error message described by you.
    Last edited by enjoy; 2012-10-24 at 06:29. Reason: typo corrections
    - Eelco

*** Puzzle me! ***

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12