New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I upgrade from XP to Windows 7?

Does upgrading from XP to Win-7 still require the destructive full install method where I have to copy my entire HD to a stand alone HD before installation and then copy what I want back?
    Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LongBike View Post
    Does upgrading from XP to Win-7 still require the destructive full install method where I have to copy my entire HD to a stand alone HD before installation and then copy what I want back?
    Thanks.
    As a matter of good, safe practice, you should image your XP PC before upgrading, just to keep a safe, reliable point, to which you can rely and get back to, if the upgrade does not go as expected.

Replying to your specific question, you can use an app like Laplink's PC mover to migrate your settings and programs from XP to Windows 7. I used it when I installed 7 x64 and most my XP programs were moved without issues.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-07-21 at 18:55. Reason: Starting new thread

Thanks
    Check out this tutorial by MakeUseOf titled "How To Upgrade From XP to Windows 7 in 4 Easy Steps". When you are finished with the custom installation, you will find all your Windows XP has been moved to a folder named Windows.Old. You can copy any user files from this folder that you might have missed. Be sure to back up, preferably an image backup before you begin the process. You can read many threads in the Security & Backups Forum for assistance on creating image backups.

To help determine Windows 7 compatibility for your programs and hardware, check out the Windows 7 Compatibility Center.