Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Please help - need recommendations for new e-mail

I am a die hard Outlook user (via my "employer's" Exchange.) My entire business and personal productivity is intertwined within Outlook's mail/tasks/calendar, etc. My BlackBerry connects thru the corporate exchange as well.

For a variety of legal reasons, we are being told to eliminate personal use of our exchange account, and use another e-mail address. (You may wonder why I would combine business and personal all together in the first place - I am self-employed, but affiliated with a large corporation for part of my consulting business, so I am able to use their infrastructure but remain an independent business. Keeping everything one place simplifies my life greatly.)

I have a Gmail account that I rarely use; I don't find the interface particularly professional or user-friendly. Since I basically will need to start from the ground up, can anyone recommend a really well-designed replacement e-mail client? (Note: I will still be required to use the Outlook Exchange account for that part of my business, so I can't just switch completely.)

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks
    Take a look at Windows Live Mail. This email client can be set up with all your email accounts.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Why not keep on using Outlook? It will work with gmail, hotmail, live accounts and just about any other accounts that support POP or IMAP access.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    It is easy in Outlook to have multiple email accounts. At work with Outlook 2010 I have 2 Exchange accounts and 2 hotmail accounts. At home I have 1 charter.net account, 1 hotmail account, and 1 live.com (really hotmail) account.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Take a look at Pegasus. It was well designed for security and business use - and it's free, but they appreciate a donation, of course.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found Outlook will not work with some "Free" accounts. They will not allow POP because they want to charge you for the upgrade.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiodoc View Post
    I have found Outlook will not work with some "Free" accounts. They will not allow POP because they want to charge you for the upgrade.
    Yes, like you can't forward or D/L to another email client if you use ATT.net web mail or Yahoo for free.

Thanks
    GMail is my personal choice for an email address and I set it up all the time for my customers who are changing ISP's.

The list of programs that will work with Gmail are as long as your arm, but my old time favorite is Outlook Express, which is NO MORE as of MS Vista.
    Since you didn't do your due and tell us what OS you're using, I'm only swagging it here. But in Vista, you have Windows Mail, which I call Outlook Express on steroids. In Win-7, Windows Mail is there, but partially hidden and totally disabled. Boo Hoo
    But, with just a few tweaks it can be Activated. I've done it many times now for my customers who are moving from XP and O.E.6 to Win-7.

Also, Mozilla Thunderbird is super easy to set up for GMail. It puts in all the port numbers, etc. for you, and all you have to put in is your Name, Address, etc. At Google/Gmail, you do have to go into settings and tell it you're using a POP email program. Likewise in Thunderbird, you need to tell it you're using POP and not IMAC.

I really like Thunderbird because it looks and works so much like O.E.6.

Good Luck and Happy 2012 !

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Wow DrWho;
    In Win-7, Windows Mail is there, but partially hidden and totally disabled. Boo Hoo
    But, with just a few tweaks it can be Activated. I've done it many times now for my customers who are moving from XP and O.E.6 to Win-7.
    I'd sure like that special information to get OE6 working in my Win7 !!! I also have Vista in my laptop if that makes any difference.

I also like and still use OE6 when in my XP Pro drive........ and there a lot :-)
    Last edited by Jagworld; 2012-01-02 at 20:13.

Thanks
    (I'm SO misunderstood)

O.E.6 died and was buried somewhere along the road between XP and Vista. Gone! Forgotten! Kaput!
    It didn't even get a grave marker.

In Vista the new program "Windows Mail" took over. It is for all intents O.E. on steroids.
    But it's definitely NOT O.E.

Then in Win-7, (not much more than an update to Vista), Windows Mail was disabled, by hiding WinMail.exe and doing something funky to the MSOE.dll file.

So, if you UN-Hide all files, so WinMail.exe can be seen, and you replace the funky MSOE.dll file with the one from Vista, and make a shortcut of WinMail.exe to your desktop, ....... you can run Windows Mail in Win-7.

I'm not sure, at the moment, if I included all that in my "Win-7 Stuff" package on my web site or not. If I did, it's all right there, and easy to use.
    EDIT: Yup, both .dll files are there! The 64 bit MSOE.dll file is in it's own folder.

Be aware..... the MSOE.dll file for 32 bit windows is not the same as the MSOE.dll file for 64 bit windows.

Of course, like with so many things, you have to install either "Take Ownership" or "Grant Full Admin Control" to gain access to the above mentioned files. The whole process is a little bit simpler than doing a heart transplant.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

kelliann1 (2012-01-03)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Looked for your website but didn't find it. What's the URL?

Thank you.

Thanks
    kelliann1;
    I think it's here.

Thanks
    Yes, that is it!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I assume it is the last one with the .rar extension? But Windows 7 Home says it can't open that file. Now what?

Kelliann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    7-Zip (free) can open .rar format and selectively extract contents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast