New Lounger
    Thanks

Losing HP Network Printer

Hi,

I have an HP Color LaserJet 3600n (JetDirect) network printer. My desktop is running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I have experienced no problems printing from this computer for about 8 months. Last night, after printing a document, I was unable to print. Printer status was "offline". I was unable to ping the IP address of the printer. I tried printing from my new laptop (about 2 weeks old) also running Win7 Ultimate 64 bit. No problem printing from the laptop. Rebooted desktop - printed 1 document with no trouble and then lost connection with printer again.

Today, same problem now with the destop and the laptop. I am able to ping the printer for 1 or 2 minutes after I print a document and then the printer is lost. Interestingly NMap will find the printer even when I cannot ping it. I am baffled. I hope someone here will have some suggestions.

Thanks,

Dennis

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had 5 printers do this same thing. My only fix is when I "Add Printer" I changed my process. Seems like if you use the default "Add Printer" process, it uses the printers IP Address, but what I ascertain is that the printer sends back the Name of the printer. So I manually installed the printer and when I got to the part on what is the name, I manually input the printer name and not allow Windows 7 to use the IP. Since then, I never lose connection. Again i am not sure about why it does this, but I have had 5 different HP printers over the years and the same thing.

I just gave the printer a name and then set up Windows with the name and it never fails for me. Try it out
    "Every Thing Changes but Change Itself"

[Core I7 6700][Asus Maximus VIII Hero][8GB G.Skill memory][Asus GTX 980Ti Strix][1 x 512GB Samsung 950 Pro][850W Seasonic PSU][Antec 900][Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit][2 x Asus PG278Q]

[Core I5 2500k][Asus P8P67 Pro (ver 3.1)][8GB Corsair memory][Asus ENGT430][1 x 90GB Corsair GT SSD][650W Corsair PSU][Thermaltake DH-202][Windows 7 Home, 64-bit][65" Panasonic Plasma T.V.]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks,

I will try it if the problem continues. I still am curious why it worked without a problem for 8 months.

Dennis