Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    I think the difference in performance is really impressive! In a way it confirms impressions I had read before, but you actually show real numbers in a common usage scenario and that is very interesting. Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think it's significant that the primary bottleneck in our PCs is being loosened, dramatically.

It reminds me of the old ZDS 386-16 I had, with those big 1 MB ISA memory cards. We had 4 MB cards too, but they were extremely expensive.

How long before the mobo comes with an integral 40 GB boot drive, or mobos have RAM and "HDD" slots...

Thanks
    A motherboard with an integrated bootable SSD, and a built in SSD imaging capability, capable of doing incremental or on command system imaging on the fly would be sweet.

Thanks
    Update
    System stablity a few months on;

The system has remained stable going on nearly 3 months now. With no crashes or BSOD's to mention.
    One of the biggest limitations I'm having to live with is the loss of S3 sleep. I didn't think that I would miss it as much as I have.
    I have added a fan controler from Scythe which seems to work quite nicely in keeping fan noise to a minimal and temperatures at an optimal.

The bootable PCIE SSD from OCZ seems to perform very nicely.
    I would highly recommend it if you have the compatible hardware, and of course the money.

Thanks
    Update on The REVO X2 Drive:
    Image resoration and drive refreshing

Drive restoration of a previously made image takes alot of work, probably a bit more than an average user has ever intended.
    Instead of a timely 20-30 min to get back up and running on the REVO X2 drive, it may take a few hours to recover from any mishap
    where an OS image restore may be needed.

In order to perform a drive image restoration on the above drive one must first break the RAID 0 array on the REVO. This can be done by
    booting to the REVO's setup screen by selecting F4 or ctrl+C during normal boot. After removing the RAID 0 one must then format the drive
    using a specific and specialized tool that will allow the drive to fully utilize all the memory cells previously occupied.
    (restores original, or near original performance)
    Then RAID 0 can then be rebuilt using the capabilities built into it's setup utility.

The drive does not have any native TRIM or garbage collection, due mainly to the fact that it's internal controllers are RAID configured. So you may find yourself having to refresh the drive on a regular basis in order to maintain the manufacturers specified performance ratings, which of course
    is alot of work for most people.

Restoring an image that was previously made to the drive involves both restoring the drive as above and reinstalling the specific drivers for the REVO X2, (Silicon Image 64bit for W7 64 bit OS) then restoring the image.
    A WinPE boot, or a Linux/Unix boot disk, is needed in conjunction with your restore imaging software in order to acomplish both the driver setup and then the restore job.

Firmware updates with this drive also involve creating a Linux bootable disk with the manufaturer's firmware update utility. The firmware
    update can only be done with a bootdisk.

The latest REVO X3 drives are a considerable improvement from the standpoint of setup and maintenance, but no where near
    ready for the average user imo.

Something to think about the next time you ponder getting a drive like this.
    There will usually be a higher degree of complexity that one should be aware of prior to getting involved with this sort of setup
    that will need to be fully researched prior to a purchase.

Best performance on the market vs setup and maintenance complexities;
    You'll have to decide if it's worth the effort.

In the end, for me, it's probably not worth the effort.
    But it has definitely proved to be a valuable learing experience.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Seems these drives may bring quite some maintenance challenges. Maybe you were not lucky with your choice of manufacturer, Clint. If other manufacturer's drives had the reliability and maintenance issues similar to these, I agree that the choice to use them would not be clear cut at all.

Thanks
    No, I don't think it has anything to do with the manufacturer, especially with the bootable PCIe based SSDs.
    These are just too new and still have a lot off issues yet to work out.
    OCZ dominates in this area and I think we'll need to see a couple of more generations of refinement.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12