Lounger
    Thanks

Page Margin problem (Word 2000 SR1)

At work I use Word97. At Home Word 2000. I created a document at work with .3" margins on all sides. Works fine at work in Word97 but at home Word 2000 will only let me go down to .46" on the right side!!! Why?
    My guess is that it has something to do with my printer at home, an HP Deskjet 932C. At work I have an HP Lazerjet 1100 (not exactly sure of that model number). Any suggestions on why Word 2000 would limit me this way? Is my hunch about the printer correct?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page Margin problem (Word 2000 SR1)

Hi David,

Spot on!! - It will be your home printer for sure.

Word always aligns documents to the attached printer on the assumption that you are going to eventually print the document thru that printer.

Do you not get a message box with the option to fix or ignore? You sound as though you know what you are doing, so I would be inclined to ignore Word's suggestion to fix margins, unless of course you want to print.

Hope This Helps.

Thanks

Hi David,

You are right, it is the printer. If you want to be able to keep things close, install the printer drivers for the work printer at home and for the home printer at work. If you open the print dialog box, select the appropriate printer, and then close the dialog box, your documents should match pretty well between work and home.

(Printer drivers installed by different operating systems (including different builds of the same operating system) will often be slightly different. Those differences will be reflected in both the on-screen display and the printed documents, although they usually are not noticeable.)
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting. I've never chosen the "Ignore" option before! What happens if I print after choosing ignore? Will my puter explode ;-)?

As you can see, I need to do some reading up about minimum printer margins.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charles,

Now this really is a novel concept to me. I didn't know you could install drivers from a device that isn't even attached to the computer and expect it to work with another device. Whoa! Could you give me a few more details here?

Both computers are running Win98SE.

JustCallMeAl

What you are seeing is the printer minimum margins. In other words, each and every printer has a specific area to which it can write on the piece of paper. Some have a very large area, thus very small printer margins (i.e., 0.17"), and others have a smaller print area, thus larger printer margins (0.56").

To see what your particular printer margins are, go into Page Setup, Margins. Change each of the top, bottom, left, right to 0, then click OK. You will be asked to Fix or Ingore. Press Fix. You will see the margin value that you entered (0) changed to the minimum printer margins.

If you do choose to ignore, and you have text in the area that the printer cannot print to, then that area will be blank. Say, you have the word "Hello" aligned to the left margin, but the "H" is outside the printer margin, then you would get "ello" printed on the page.

Thanks

Start => Settings => Printers => Add Printer
    Pick your printer and add.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin