3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

My Book Essentials Back up App.

Just curious has anybody used the WD Smartware back up program, if so any problems. I just added the My Book external 1-HD to just store my Macrium imaging on and was wondering if it was worth a try.

Thanks
    I believe your Macrium Reflect is much more full featured. Most of the apps that come with the ext HD's are a slimmed down version of the 3rd party apps. Many use Acronis as the app, then trim it for their needs. Just stick with Macrium Reflect.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brightest Bulb View Post
    Just curious has anybody used the WD Smartware back up program, if so any problems. I just added the My Book external 1-HD to just store my Macrium imaging on and was wondering if it was worth a try.
    "Bulbman" ,
    Hello... I have heard of some having problems with the "WD My Book" being "Seen" by their PC ..I suggest that you make sure that Macrium Reflect ( if you decide to use that program) "Sees" the WD as a location ... Make sure that (My Book ) is formatted in NTFS and not FAT-32. Have a look around the forum ...You can start Here I don't have any experience with "Smartware" if you decide to use it post back with your results. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanks guys

1. No problem with the My Book being seen.
    2. But I am using the Macrium Reflect for backup, I purchased the My Book from Wally World just to try and so far like it (for me it's a keeper.) my Seagate 250gb HD wasn't big enough and was causing some boot-up problems and since I know nothing about travels into Bios land I decided to go this way and it worked. Added to that it actually has an on/off power switch. Not needed but nice to have, it's my old school attitude.

I also use something called SyncBak and it runs a scheduled daily bakup of needed to die for data and Quicken is also backed up daily manually as needed. I'm sure it's probably a crude setup compared to most but I'm comfortable with it. Normally when I get any USB HD or flash drive I format them to get rid of excess baggage but this Smartware has not caused any problems so I may play around with it for a while.

My backup plans though are mainly just used for data, a very simplified version used by someone who finds it easier to reinstall program discs and start anew as long as I have my data.

Thanks
    Not, Look at all the discussions for Imaging. Heck there is even one thread with Step By Step instructions for Macrium Reflect and another for Acronis. Imaging is so much quicker to restore your whole system. Then using your data backup scheme you will be back to work in minutes rather than hours.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    NBB,

I'm with Ted here. Not only are images faster to restore they preserve all the program settings/customizations you have made. If you reinstall your programs you have to do these all over again and unless you keep meticulous notes I doubt you'll get your back to your pre-crash state.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Just to emphasize, I also back up all my data separately from my Images. Data changes much more often than my system, so my data would quickly get out of date. That's one reason why my data is on a separate drive. When I restore my system, the data is not touched. So unless things are so bad that I have to restore the system and data drives, in which case I would bring my data back from my other backup scheme, just restoring the system takes less than 10 minutes, including OS, all apps, all customizations, everything.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    If you reinstall your programs you have to do these all over again and unless you keep meticulous notes I doubt you'll get your back to your pre-crash state.
    # 1. Welcome to my world.

# 2. As usual do not worry if something bad happens I will be looking for a step by step dumbed down instruction program on how Macrium will restore everything. And I do mean dumbed down.

Thanks
    NBB,

Check This thread for instructions note graphics are at the bottom.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Ok RG, it's your turn to have a senior moment, I had mine earlier. Look at my post #5.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Ok RG, it's your turn to have a senior moment, I had mine earlier. Look at my post #5.
    "Et tu, Brute?"

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Don't worry Not, the first time will cause some anxious moments, but subsequent restores will be easier. If I might suggest, go through the instructions written by mercyh, then go ahead and create an Image (I store my images on an ext HD, but a separate partition will work fine). You will also have to create a boot disk using Macrium Reflect (you only need one boot disk for as many Images you create). At this point comes the anxious moment. Pop in the boot disk, connect your media where you stored your Image, reboot your PC and restore from the created Image. This is the best way to verify your Image. When it completes, remove the boot disk, disconnect the Image and reboot. Your PC should boot into the OS you just restored.

And yes RG, I have to take shots when I get them. I do not get many!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted