New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to access boot menu, need help.

I am running Windows Home XP and I cannot access the boot menu. When I boot my computer it takes forever for a screen to come up, and then the screen tells me cannot find disk 1 click on F1. I have tried clicking on F12 and nothing happens. Can Someone please tell me what to do to access the boot menu.
    Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    It appears the boot sector on your hard drive is kaput. What you can do is press F1, assuming this gets you into your BIOS, and change the boot order to find your CD drive first. That will at least allow you to boot from your Windows CD or repair CD and then try to fix the problem from there. If you need help with this procedure post back w/your Windows Version and Machine Make & Model.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To Retired Geek:

I am running Windows XP, edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.When I click on F1 it does not go into BIOS. The computer goes ahead and boots properly, the desk top comes up and every thing runs properly. Can you tell me what to do to go into the boot menu, to go into the BIOS? Thanks for your help. Lodge Member

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To Retired Geek:
    I failed to mention what kind of computer I have; It is a Dell 2400. Sorry for the over site.

Lodge Member

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Member View Post
    To Retired Geek:
    I failed to mention what kind of computer I have; It is a Dell 2400. Sorry for the over site.

Lodge Member
    Lodge Member,

Your lucky day...I just happen to have a spare Dell 2400 sitting under my desk.
    Ok 1st of all the F1 is most likely caused by the computer being unable to see your keyboard {on Dells F2 is the key to get into the BIOS at boot}. Are you using a keyboard with a PS2 {round} connector or a USB {rectangular} connector? If you are using a USB keyboard see if you can scare up one with a PS2 connector or at least a different USB one. Give the new keyboard a try {make sure it is plugged in, and the other one removed, BEFORE you apply power. Post back with your results.

Update: If you can't find another keyboard try using the one you have in a different USB port. If it is plugged in the front of the machine move it to the back and visa versa. If you have to do this I'd also suggest you give the keyboard a good wack from the side with your hand to make sure you don't have any stuck keys.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2011-07-23 at 16:17.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs