Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Blue screen after rebooting after updating

After installing the latest updates for Windows (the Patch Tuesday updates, not sure of the update numbers), now when I reboot my machine, while it's "Configuring Updates", I get a Blue Screen. I can't get past "Configuring Updates" to even login. I get the Blue Screen during that process.

A few other tidbits:

I have two firewire hard drives and an ExpressCard plugged into my machine when booting. Should I try unplugging those when booting to see if that helps?

The machine is a MacBook Pro with Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit) installed using Boot Camp. I did recently upgrade the Mac partition to Lion and turned on FileVault 2.

What do I need to do to be able to successfully boot back into Windows again?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Hi parkernathan,
    Should I try unplugging those when booting to see if that helps?
    Why not try it.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Why not try it.
    Tried it. That didn't work. Seems it shows "Configuring Updates" then jumps to about 32%, then Blue Screen.

Thanks
    Can a restore be done before updates were installed.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have you tried booting in safe mode?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Can a restore be done before updates were installed.
    That's what I'm trying to do now. Booting into Safe Mode really didn't do anything (loaded the divers and just stayed on the "Please Wait" screen). How do I get to the Advanced Boot Options on a machine with EFI? Still use F8 at startup or something else?

Thanks
    Any chance you have a recent Image, or any Image of the OS when it was working correctly? If so just restore and start over with the updates. Apply the updates one at a time until something bad happens or the updates are successful. Images are "the bomb".
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Any chance you have a recent Image, or any Image of the OS when it was working correctly? If so just restore and start over with the updates. Apply the updates one at a time until something bad happens or the updates are successful. Images are "the bomb".
    That's what's really ironic about the situation. I was about to boot into my system and create an image since I finally had then chance to get a drive to do it with. Alas, I was too late. :-(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's the current situation. System Restore went successfully, and I can finally login, but now I still get a Blue Screen after logging in. Anything else I can try or is it time to just start all over from scratch?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by parkernathan View Post
    Here's the current situation. System Restore went successfully, and I can finally login, but now I still get a Blue Screen after logging in. Anything else I can try or is it time to just start all over from scratch?
    parkernathan,
    Hello...Do you have the Windows 7 Install disk? If so ...try booting from it and select "Repair Windows" Also you might be able to enter the BIOS "Boot Menu" and try selecting your Windows Disk\ Partition and boot from there. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-07-24 at 19:55.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    parkernathan,
    Hello...Do you have the Windows 7 Install disk? If so ...try booting from it and select "Repair Windows" Also you might be able to enter the BIOS "Boot Menu" and try selecting your Windows Disk\ Partition and boot from there. Regards Fred
    I do, but my disk isn't an SP1 disk, but I have SP1 on my machine. Will that matter?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by parkernathan View Post
    I do, but my disk isn't an SP1 disk, but I have SP1 on my machine. Will that matter?
    parkernathan,
    Hello... No ....at this point all you want to do is get your OS back....You could always reinstall SP-1 if you had to.
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    parkernathan,
    Hello... No ....at this point all you want to do is get your OS back....You could always reinstall SP-1 if you had to.
    Regards Fred
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Thanks
    If the Repair Install does not work you might be left with reinstalling Win 7. I am unfamiliar with Boot Camp. Does that allow a dual boot configuration with Mac on one partition and Win 7 on the other? I would more suspect the Mac Lion causing this problem rather than the Win 7 updates. I wonder if Mac Lion is somehow stopping you from using Win 7, who knows. It may be a matter that after updating to Mac Lion you have to reinstall the Win 7 partition.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    If the Repair Install does not work you might be left with reinstalling Win 7. I am unfamiliar with Boot Camp. Does that allow a dual boot configuration with Mac on one partition and Win 7 on the other? I would more suspect the Mac Lion causing this problem rather than the Win 7 updates. I wonder if Mac Lion is somehow stopping you from using Win 7, who knows. It may be a matter that after updating to Mac Lion you have to reinstall the Win 7 partition.
    Yeah, it seems I'll have to re-install Windows from scratch (dang). You're correct. Boot Camp allows a Mac to dual boot OS X and Win 7. Hard to tell if it's Lion or Win Updates. It's during Config Win Updates I get the Blue Screen, but it could be anything. Oh well, here's to a re-install. I'll create a system image this time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast